Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Timberjack
    Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 pm

Just trying to help here, but i got me a new circular saw a while back. one of the evolution handhelds . if anybody has been wondering about them they seem great, i really like it for taking around to jobs in my truck . makes quick work of small stuff like angle iron and small tubing , i have been cutting 2x2x1/4 inch angle and square tubing up to 2x2x1/4 .
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I heard those are pretty good.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Have you tried shearing plate or barstock with it yet?
Timberjack

No i haven't yet ,but tomorrow is the day,i will be cutting some gussets for a job out of 1/4 x6 flat. i will let you guys know how it gos.
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

So how did it go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Timberjack

Sorry for leaving you guys hanging, yes i cut my gussets and it went well, been fairly happy with this saw for what it is. mine is a evolution 7 1/4 saw so it would have to have a limit. but if i get my hundred and forty dollars out of it im happy.
alexweeks1996
    Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:03 am

Thanks for this info. That particular model seems like a pretty good option for plate especially.
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

I have cut a lot of 1" mild steel plate while at a company for the Test lab while building motor mounts using this saw. https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6370-2 ... B0000WUQHU , slow going with that thick of plate and lubed the, you know what out of it but can't beat the cut. Longest cut was around 6 feet and thermal protection kicked in a couple times, but it cut like a champ till the day I left.
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

I missed this thread the first time around....

I have had the 9" Evo circular saw for around 7-8 years now and as I consider myself a hobbyist it hasn't been worked too hard and certainly not like someone making a living fabricating from metal might work one. I've cut a lot of stacked steel pole barn siding up to 1/2" plate with it and as long as I let it cut at the rate the blade wants to chew up the steel it does just fine. Forcing the cut dulls the blades pretty quickly. It can really throw the chips at times so for reaching across 1/4" and thicker stuff where I can't position myself out of the line of fire I wear my long leather coat and a face shield.
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

LanceR wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:41 am I missed this thread the first time around....

I have had the 9" Evo circular saw for around 7-8 years now and as I consider myself a hobbyist it hasn't been worked too hard and certainly not like someone making a living fabricating from metal might work one. I've cut a lot of stacked steel pole barn siding up to 1/2" plate with it and as long as I let it cut at the rate the blade wants to chew up the steel it does just fine. Forcing the cut dulls the blades pretty quickly. It can really throw the chips at times so for reaching across 1/4" and thicker stuff where I can't position myself out of the line of fire I wear my long leather coat and a face shield.
lol, I hear ya on the chips. Once the chip tank stared to overflow same with the Milwaukee.