Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I thought today would be the day when I would use propane to cut steel for the first time. No such luck. I bought a couple of propane tips from Amazon, but they are too small for my torch. I have a Victor 2460 cutting handle.

The Amazon ad says "Propane Natural Gas Cutting Tip 3-GPN Size 1 Fit Victor Oxyfuel Torch." You can put the collar on over one of these and drop the tip right out of the handle.

It looks like I need 1-GPN, size 1. Does that sound right? I ordered a couple, but I can cancel. Amazon says they go up to 3/4", which is probably thicker than anything I'll cut in the next year.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:I thought today would be the day when I would use propane to cut steel for the first time. No such luck. I bought a couple of propane tips from Amazon, but they are too small for my torch. I have a Victor 2460 cutting handle.

The Amazon ad says "Propane Natural Gas Cutting Tip 3-GPN Size 1 Fit Victor Oxyfuel Torch." You can put the collar on over one of these and drop the tip right out of the handle.

It looks like I need 1-GPN, size 1. Does that sound right? I ordered a couple, but I can cancel. Amazon says they go up to 3/4", which is probably thicker than anything I'll cut in the next year.
I have a GPN-1 tip in my 2460 torch head.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Thanks. Hope it works.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

As long as it’s the right size to fit your torch handle it will be fine. You will be able to get several different size orifices / tip sizes. Depending on the handle size you will be limited to maximum and minimum tips. Larger orifices are the size of the oxygen hole in the center of the tip. If you use one larger than you need it won’t hurt the quality of the cut much, but it will take more oxygen to cut thinner metal than what you need. IE higher cost per cut. The extra cost of wasted oxygen may off set the savings of switching to propane.
I have more questions than answers

Josh