Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I've been having problems with my plasma cutter sticking to work while I drag it across the steel. Is there something I don't know? I assumed it was made to be in contact with the metal.

It gets stuck, and then the cut opens up and gets ruined.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Not all tips are drag tips. Some, you must have a stand-off distance that you yourself as the user must maintain.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

hey chips, what make cutter are you using? As Oscar stated, some of them don't like running against the material and some do. Some come with a attached stand off guide and some rely on the operator to maintain the standoff.

It's a Hypertherm. The tips are castellated.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

There might be a worn bit inside the nozzle letting a short circuit form. Or there's a switch to change between drag and stand off tips.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:I've been having problems with my plasma cutter sticking to work while I drag it across the steel. Is there something I don't know? I assumed it was made to be in contact with the metal.

It gets stuck, and then the cut opens up and gets ruined.
I have a Hypertherm 30Air with a drag tip and it does the same to some extent. Not a real problem but interesting to know if this is normal or a technique issue. :?:

The tip looks pretty bad. I'll replace it and see what happens.