Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Ever since the cold saw versus Band Saw thread I wanted a saw I like that. I've had my heart set on a Bosch because I generally like their tools but after having thought I found the item on eBay, it appears that is only a European Standard device and Bosch doesn't make it for import to the US. I tried calling them and they were of no help.

I saw numerous people talk about the Evo saw. After doing a quick Google search there's at least one other brand which appears similar but half the money, I was okay with spending 700 on a Bosch, but if there is no appreciable difference I can't see over spending on any one of them. Is there any huge difference between the brands?

https://renegade.sawblade.com/?gclid=Cj ... zxEALw_wcB

https://www.trick-tools.com/Evolution-S ... PLEALw_wcB
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Dewalt also offers a dry cut saw, might be worth a look.

The vise on the Evo looks sturdier, it has pin detents for 90 and 45⁰, and 3 different positions to move the vise forward/back. This is supposed to help the blades last longer as you can make sure you're not cutting "flat" or bringing the blade down centered on the material.

Evo will also take 15" blades vs the 14" max of the other

I have that same Evo saw, and would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Last edited by JayWal on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BugHunter

BugHunter

I definitely like the idea of the detents for 45 and 90. But once again for half the money of your Evo saw, here is even another Evo saw that I linked right above.

I can't speak to that model I've never used it. It's smaller capacity obviously being a 10" blade.

I thing I do like tho is that the saw swivels and not the vise. On the more expensive model, if you have it on a stand, and you want to cut, say, a 45⁰ on the end of a 20' length, you have to swing the vice and the stock out 45⁰. If the saw swivels you don't have that problem, the stock stays.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

JayWal wrote: The vise on the Evo looks sturdier, it has pin detents for 90 and 45⁰, and 3 different positions to move the vise forward/back. This is supposed to help the blades last longer as you can make sure you're not cutting "flat" or bringing the blade down centered on the material.
That will only work on some sizes. Too big and it won't make a difference. Yes it moves the fence towards you, but the rear-most position is so far back, that the forward most position will still have cutting on the flats on some pieces. The base just isn't long enough front-to-back to truly alleviate this issue on something like a 3x3 angle when doing double 45's (on each end). It's the only thing that I noticed before hitting the Buy Now trigger.

I've used a Rage 3 at work, and it works, but the clamping is something to think about. It will miter both sizes of an angle because you can rotate to 45° to either side, then push the saw into the it from front-to-back. But then it's only a 10" blade, so fewer teeth would mean more wear to the teeth than a 14" blade.

Now if there was a sliding 14" Evo Saw, then THAT would be awesome.
Last edited by Oscar on Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oscar wrote:
JayWal wrote: The vise on the Evo looks sturdier, it has pin detents for 90 and 45⁰, and 3 different positions to move the vise forward/back. This is supposed to help the blades last longer as you can make sure you're not cutting "flat" or bringing the blade down centered on the material.
That will only work on some sizes. Too big and it won't make a difference. Yes it moves the fence towards you, but the rear-most position is so far back, that the forward most position will still have cutting on the flats on some pieces. The base just isn't long enough front-to-back to truly alleviate this issue on something like a 3x3 angle when doing double 45's (on each end). It's the only thing that I noticed before hitting the Buy Now trigger.
I agree. And for anything over 10-15⁰ you need to have the fence all the way forward or the stock hits the the saw hinge at the back.

BugHunter

Being an East coaster and sick, I fell asleep. You guys gave me a lot of things to think about. I really prefer the saw turning and not the vice.. I'll have to do some more looking today.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

BugHunter wrote:Ever since the cold saw versus Band Saw thread I wanted a saw I like that. I've had my heart set on a Bosch because I generally like their tools but after having thought I found the item on eBay, it appears that is only a European Standard device and Bosch doesn't make it for import to the US. I tried calling them and they were of no help.

I saw numerous people talk about the Evo saw. After doing a quick Google search there's at least one other brand which appears similar but half the money, I was okay with spending 700 on a Bosch, but if there is no appreciable difference I can't see over spending on any one of them. Is there any huge difference between the brands?

https://renegade.sawblade.com/?gclid=Cj ... zxEALw_wcB

https://www.trick-tools.com/Evolution-S ... PLEALw_wcB

One big difference between the Renegade at 40lbs and the Evo at 53lbs is 33% more weight! At least some of that can be attributed to the Evo's cast aluminum base vs a stamped metal deck. Also visually the vice on the Evo is much heavier and does include the removable V block attachment. Both very important componants for accurate cuts.

Yea that renegade doesn't look like anything special. Looks just like an Evo Rage2 14" saw with the stamped steel base.
homeboy

Oscar wrote:Yea that renegade doesn't look like anything special. Looks just like an Evo Rage2 14" saw with the stamped steel base.
My thoughts exactly! Another issue, the Renegade has 1 year warrantee, Evo 3 years. Mine threw a bearing in the gearbox just short of 3years. One phone call, emailed free shipping label, fast return with new gearbox and armature etc, almost new saw. Didn't cost a dime! Home Depot has the Evo380 on for US $380,00 right now. ;)

homeboy wrote:
Oscar wrote:Yea that renegade doesn't look like anything special. Looks just like an Evo Rage2 14" saw with the stamped steel base.
My thoughts exactly! Another issue, the Renegade has 1 year warrantee, Evo 3 years. Mine threw a bearing in the gearbox just short of 3years. One phone call, emailed free shipping label, fast return with new gearbox and armature etc, almost new saw. Didn't cost a dime! Home Depot has the Evo380 on for US $380,00 right now. ;)
That's interesting that they still have the old one.

Just saw this on the HD site: https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-15-Amp- ... /315473379

Obviously cheaper, but has a cast base for $300 direct from the mfg.

https://wenproducts.com/products/wen-cm ... -saw-blade

I thought that renegade was stamped steel too, but the site says its cast. But yeah I agree it doesn't look anything special

homeboy

First time I have seen a WEN dry cut! If it's as good as the variable speed drill press I had it's a winner. :D

JayWal wrote:I thought that renegade was stamped steel too, but the site says its cast. But yeah I agree it doesn't look anything special

Yea, they'll just chalk it up to a typo. Looking at it you can tell it's a stamped frame.

homeboy wrote:First time I have seen a WEN dry cut! If it's as good as the variable speed drill press I had it's a winner. :D
It's so new, even WEN doesn't have a pic of it on their website! :lol: I just wish there were more pics of it from other angles.

I have a few WEN things in the garage. A 4x18 bench sander that is identical to my Ryobi, an oscillating drum sander, and an 8" variable speed bench grinder (use it on low-speed to grind HSS bits for the lathe). They all work pretty good for the price.
BugHunter

JayWal wrote:Dewalt also offers a dry cut saw, might be worth a look.

The vise on the Evo looks sturdier, it has pin detents for 90 and 45⁰, and 3 different positions to move the vise forward/back. This is supposed to help the blades last longer as you can make sure you're not cutting "flat" or bringing the blade down centered on the material.

Evo will also take 15" blades vs the 14" max of the other

I have that same Evo saw, and would definitely recommend it.
I see SkilSaw has one also. Similar money at $425. Makita makes a 12" one. There's no good universal name for the things so they're not very easy to search for. Most of what I find are abrasive saws and I have one of them. It's way too fast (as they all appear to be) to put on a carbide toothed blade.

That Dewalt seems expensive for what it is. I never liked yellow tools anyway. :D

The Evo 14" saw vise/fence arrangement seems to be the nicest of the units I've looked at. I'll probably be bored some afternoon and pick one up, unless I find something else that impresses me first. Had my heart set on that Bosch till they didn't make it for import to the USA.
BugHunter

homeboy wrote:
I was on HD dot com today and they only had the sliding compound saw. Same for Lowes. Not available for delivery and no in stock but in only a few stores a long drive from me. I'll have to look again.
BugHunter

HD's search function sucks. I specifically searched Evolution Saw today, and the 380 never showed up on the site, even searching by model number. :evil:

Just went back and did another search with different terms since Homeboy said it was on there. Low and behold, yep, they have it. Well, they used to have it. Now I have it, along with a 90 tooth blade.

For the amount of time I wasted shopping for a saw, I could have mowed the neighbors grass by the hour and paid for one. Man I hate the buying process.

Hey BillEDee! If you wanna try out a new toy it'll be here the 15th. :lol:
homeboy

BugHunter wrote:
Now if you need a spare blade check with Oscar on the Diablo! :D
BugHunter

homeboy wrote:Now if you need a spare blade check with Oscar on the Diablo! :D
I bought one with the saw. :D
homeboy

BugHunter wrote:
homeboy wrote:Now if you need a spare blade check with Oscar on the Diablo! :D
I bought one with the saw. :D
8-) :D
homeboy

Just for curiosity if you click on Oscars 10:07pm HD / WEN link you can compare the EVO and WEN side by side. Almost looks like the WEN may be a re-badged EVO 380 without the extra drop down blade guard. Of note is they both have a chip collection drawer. In reference to the "yellow machines" as BugHunter mentioned their 14in saw has a stamped deck, rinky dink vise and no chip drawer to be seen in a video I just watched. ;)
BugHunter

homeboy wrote:Just for curiosity if you click on Oscars 10:07pm HD / WEN link you can compare the EVO and WEN side by side. Almost looks like the WEN may be a re-badged EVO 380 without the extra drop down blade guard. Of note is they both have a chip collection drawer.
I totally missed that post before buying. Looks like I got taken for an extra $40. Story of my life. :lol:
In reference to the "yellow machines" as BugHunter mentioned their 14in saw has a stamped deck, rinky dink vise and no chip drawer to be seen in a video I just watched. ;)
Yea, for $200 more... :shock: