Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Is Oxy Propane legal in residential shops? It may vary state to state, however I figured I'd just throw this one out there. I've been considering getting a oxy-pro setup, but IIRC in my county I may need to register with the fire marshall. May not be worth the hastle but curious what other states are like. I'm sure if you have a big shop it doesn't really matter, but for us home gamers I'm curious if anyone with a small shop has a rig and if you use it in the driveway vs inside your shop?

Not sure if its even worth the fire risk. Do you guys think its equivalent or hotter than grinding sparks, assuming all best practices handling tanks and fuel etc?
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I thinknwhenever you deal with the government, whether local or state, its always better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Jakedaawg wrote:I thinknwhenever you deal with the government, whether local or state, its always better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Yeap. I have oxy-acet in my garage, and I'm very careful how/when I use it.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

bap_ wrote:Is Oxy Propane legal in residential shops? It may vary state to state, however I figured I'd just throw this one out there. I've been considering getting a oxy-pro setup, but IIRC in my county I may need to register with the fire marshall. May not be worth the hastle but curious what other states are like. I'm sure if you have a big shop it doesn't really matter, but for us home gamers I'm curious if anyone with a small shop has a rig and if you use it in the driveway vs inside your shop?

Not sure if its even worth the fire risk. Do you guys think its equivalent or hotter than grinding sparks, assuming all best practices handling tanks and fuel etc?
Yes it is hotter than a grinding spark. If you are performing work-for-hire, then you will need a license, insurance, and likely an inspection. If you are welding/fabricating for yourself, then you probably only need to alert your home insurance so that any damage/loss is covered. They may require a Fire Marshall inspection for conformity.

And you really ought to have at least 2 proper fire extinguishers and keep them serviced. Install those, use proper care, and almost every Fire Marshall will give you their blessing assuming your structure is clad with fire-retardant covering on the inside.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

cj737 wrote:
bap_ wrote:Is Oxy Propane legal in residential shops? It may vary state to state, however I figured I'd just throw this one out there. I've been considering getting a oxy-pro setup, but IIRC in my county I may need to register with the fire marshall. May not be worth the hastle but curious what other states are like. I'm sure if you have a big shop it doesn't really matter, but for us home gamers I'm curious if anyone with a small shop has a rig and if you use it in the driveway vs inside your shop?

Yes it is hotter than a grinding spark. If you are performing work-for-hire, then you will need a license, insurance, and likely an inspection. If you are welding/fabricating for yourself, then you probably only need to alert your home insurance so that any damage/loss is covered. They may require a Fire Marshall inspection for conformity.

And you really ought to have at least 2 proper fire extinguishers and keep them serviced. Install those, use proper care, and almost every Fire Marshall will give you their blessing assuming your structure is clad with fire-retardant covering on the inside.
I agree it is hotter. And bigger globs of hot metal. I've set far more stuff on fire with oxy/fuel than with a grinder Image can be surprising sometimes just how far oxy will throw sparks if you're cutting just right.

Also if you're cutting within a foot of a concrete floor, lay a sheet of some metal over the concrete. The molten metal hitting the concrete will mess up your floor.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Kinda what I thought. I think I'll have to omit the oxy-fuel for now. Off to do more grinding...

Good call out on insurance by the way. Great for future reference.
A.L.
    Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:52 am

I rarely use my torch for cutting. It's more for heating purposes. Whenever I am using it to cut something, I take it outside. That torch doesn't throw sparks, they're fiery raindrops.
Bls repair
    Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:22 pm

I do all my cutting and welding outside
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Oscar wrote:
Jakedaawg wrote:I thinknwhenever you deal with the government, whether local or state, its always better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Having worked my whole career in LE and regulatory I’ve got to say this is the best advice out there. Many public officials don’t share my view of being helpful . Worse being in THAT place you can just imagine what sort of attitude you’d encounter. If I decided to make any inquiries in your shoes I’d make them without saying exactly who or where I was.
I’ve been cutting, welding and heating for 25 years either inside or in front of my garage with no issues at all and will do do until I’m too old to bother anymore. I’ve just got a regular concrete floor with no paint job ect and piles of slag and flying sparks haven’t damaged anything. Just take all the common sense measures like water and a fire extinguisher and use your head that’s all. It’s not difficult or dangerous. I do the little cutting I do anymore using a couple 2x4 on edge or off the edge of a plywood portable table I use for butchery
My only warnings for a homeowner metal mangler are these few things. WATCH THE DEBRIS . Sawdust leaves that blow in and build up, stuff like that. I use a leaf blower to get rid of that stuff. Second, and more importantly don’t send fire flying when you will be leaving soon. If anything is left glowing it can smolder for a long time before taking light so :shock: refer back to rule number 1. Just keep those things in mind and you’re all set.
Propane is cheap , mine is a regular barbecue bottle but Oxygen isn’t anymore. That’s why I stopped using mine much. I would think a decent yet inexpensive plasma cutter would be a better choice I would think providing you have the power in the garage to use it. You might look into that and likely won’t need to use your gas rig often at all .
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Oscar wrote:
Yeap. I have oxy-acet in my garage, and I'm very careful how/when I use it.
Having worked my whole career in LE and regulatory I’ve got to say this is the best advice out there. Many public officials don’t share my view of being helpful . Worse being in THAT place you can just imagine what sort of attitude you’d encounter. If I decided to make any inquiries in your shoes I’d make them without saying exactly who or where I was.
I’ve been cutting, welding and heating for 25 years either inside or in front of my garage with no issues at all and will do do until I’m too old to bother anymore. I’ve just got a regular concrete floor with no paint job ect and piles of slag and flying sparks haven’t damaged anything. Just take all the common sense measures like water and a fire extinguisher and use your head that’s all. It’s not difficult or dangerous. I do the little cutting I do anymore using a couple 2x4 on edge or off the edge of a plywood portable table I use for butchery
My only warnings for a homeowner metal mangler are these few things. WATCH THE DEBRIS . Sawdust leaves that blow in and build up, stuff like that. I use a leaf blower to get rid of that stuff. Second, and more importantly don’t send fire flying when you will be leaving soon. If anything is left glowing it can smolder for a long time before taking light so :shock: refer back to rule number 1. Just keep those things in mind and you’re all set.
Propane is cheap , mine is a regular barbecue bottle but Oxygen isn’t anymore. That’s why I stopped using mine much. I would think a decent yet inexpensive plasma cutter would be a better choice I would think providing you have the power in the garage to use it. You might look into that and likely won’t need to use your gas rig often at all .
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Oxy propane is certainly going to be safer than oxy acetylene in my estimation. I mean I have a household full of propane appliances, there's certainly no restriction on that fuel (in general), and propane is much more stable than acetylene. Just do all your cutting outdoors and store the cutting rig in a shed or barn, not your primary residence. I think you will be good to go.
Multimatic 255