Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Cutting a few inches off the end of some 4x8 16ga plate and the cutoff disc grabbed onto the end and threw a chunk of the disc right off. Good thing the guard was properly positioned. Launched the piece up into the guard and then straight down and away from my head. Not a huge chunk, but a great reminder about safety with these things!
305EB480-4A85-42D5-9C7D-032DC554E298.jpeg
305EB480-4A85-42D5-9C7D-032DC554E298.jpeg (34.55 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Youtube is full of people using these things without guards. "I've been doing it this way for years, and I've never had a problem." Yes, that's how it works. You never have a problem, and then you have a problem.

Another thing: people think face shields are enough. If you look around online, you can actually find accounts of wheels going through people's clothes, into their bodies.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Spartan wrote:Cutting a few inches off the end of some 4x8 16ga plate and the cutoff disc grabbed onto the end and threw a chunk of the disc right off.
The only time this has happened to me, I was on the wrong side of the blade against its rotation. Something to bear in mind is the direction things are spinning when using them. Sometimes, you just have to get on the backside with the grinder to reach, but that is when it usually goes wrong.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:Youtube is full of people using these things without guards. "I've been doing it this way for years, and I've never had a problem." Yes, that's how it works. You never have a problem, and then you have a problem.
but something else caused it therefore its not a problem so it doesn't count, so i can keep on doing it like that. :shock: :lol:
sad to say i know people like that.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yea you never know when one of those things is gonna let go. I use thick safety glasses over my prescription glasses, but even then, you still never know.
Olecoot
    Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:01 pm

I used to use those flip down face shields, never really felt protected, I upgraded to one of these and I really like it.
faceshield.jpg
faceshield.jpg (18.44 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088B ... UTF8&psc=1
Fame is vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wings. Only one thing endures and that is Character.
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

That’s exactly why I don’t use safety glasses for that sort of thing. I usually use a shield and keep my chin down so it protects my neck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

[/quote] but something else caused it therefore its not a problem so it doesn't count, so i can keep on doing it like that. :shock: :lol:
sad to say i know people like that.[/quote]

Tweake, that's something like a brand new second hand almost used recap.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Safety glasses plus shield? :D

I've actually been grinding on something and to my side had a couple tubes get blown over in the wind and smash me on the noggin where the hard plastic is on the top of face shield.

To this day I think it saved me from a good couple stitches..

Not enough for me to go out and get a hard hat though, I just chain up my loose material now.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

just being around stuff, one should be aware of things that may happen. Being around MOVING items one should be more aware and do their best to prevent accidents.
bap,,,are you sure the ground wasn't shaking out there when the tubes fell???

Ground shaking.. fires.. seasonal high winds... whats new.