Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Duey1083 wrote:
cj737 wrote:Duey, make sure to use cutting fluid. It will do wonders for the longevity of your blade.
For a hobby guy, would you guys just recommend a deep cut portable band saw? I've seen people make stands for these, so that could potentially be another project for me after I build the table.
I've got a Dewalt portaband. Its ok. A lot of hype around them. I think they are great for cutting small parts from sheet metal, and plate. Horrible for mitering, horrible for getting a straight cut on tubing. Could be me, but I'm finding I would rather have invested in a real bandsaw, or a dry cut.

Anytime I have to make a long cut on sheet metal, I go to the grinder.
Anytime I have to make a miter cut on tube, to the grinder.

I just picked up a multitool 2x36 attachment for my bench grinder. Now that thing is awesome. Removes millscale really well and safely, great for shaping parts, great for deburring. Now that I have it theres no going back kinda tool.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Interesting perspective. Lots of people swear by them. I almost had one, but I took a chance on the Harbor Freight one, and both units I got had a major wobble on the drive wheel, which I thought was kinda odd. How can something so simple be messed up, twice! :lol:
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Oscar wrote:Interesting perspective. Lots of people swear by them. I almost had one, but I took a chance on the Harbor Freight one, and both units I got had a major wobble on the drive wheel, which I thought was kinda odd. How can something so simple be messed up, twice! :lol:
Was it the drive shaft or the face of the wheel? If the face is not square to the shaft and dead perpendicular to the grooves, a few thousandths run-out translates into LOTS of motion at the tangent (I'm sure you realize this, just stating the obvious).

There's a video Abom did on his (I think) Baldor. It had a huge amount of vibration for the very same reasons. And those babies are semi-proud of their machines. After some truing of the shaft and facing of the mandrel, it was quiet as a church mouse and still as a tombstone.

This is a perfect example of buying for less, then spending a bit of time "dolling up" a lower cost tool/machine. They can often be made into a higher quality tool if you have the means/willingness to tinker with them, or tune them. Expecting HF tools to be as good as a $2k bandsaw is unrealistic. But one can make them damn usable and reliable with some reasonable effort. A porta-band will only ever be "field level accurate" anyway.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I'm pretty sure it was the driveshaft. I'm sure I could have tinkered with it, as I love doing that, but I do pick and choose my battles wisely seeing as how I'm not 100% confident in my machining skills yet.