Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
WVDeere
    Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:13 pm

I have oxy acetylene, plasma cutter, metal circular saw, and old trusty cut off wheels at my disposal. Any opinions on what would work best? Not sure the thickness. My buddy is bringing it by the house Sunday for help. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac's Crew
    Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:02 pm

Screw it to a piece of plywood and use circular saw for rough shape...then either cutting wheel or band saw, oxy for final shape.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I haven't built anything I can't throw away yet.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Plasma if yours will maintain the arc during interrupted cutting. Thickness looks pretty stout, and material looks pretty rusty which will be a bit of havoc for plasma or Oxy.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Time for the 9" angle grinder with cutting disc to come out and play.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

+1 on the circular saw. Torch or plasma will be a pain the a$$
Multimatic 255
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Looks like you have a LOT to cut. Any way you slice it i :lol: :lol: t's gonna be a long day.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I tend to agree with the circular saw and grinder. When I buy the stuff, I usually tell the place where I'm getting it from all my dimensions and have them Shear cut it. I then call it money well spent when it arrives.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Yeah I'd go circ saw. And maybe don't use your good gloves handling the stuff, it snags and rips EVERYTHING

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

A simple circular saw with a metal disk. Just don’t use a cheapo with a plastic guard or it will melt.
WVDeere
    Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Thanks. He’s working on a trailer so I don’t know how he wants it sliced. It’s gonna take awhile no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I just use a 5" rat tail grinder with a thin .040 cutting disc and it goes quick. ;)
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

either metal cutting circular saw, if you have one.
or angle grinder with cut off blade.
the hardest bit is setting up a guide rail so you get accurate cuts.
tweak it until it breaks
homeboy

BugHunter wrote:I tend to agree with the circular saw and grinder. When I buy the stuff, I usually tell the place where I'm getting it from all my dimensions and have them Shear cut it. I then call it money well spent when it arrives.
Couple of suppliers in my area wouldn't shear the heavier raised expanded metal because they said the hold downs on the shear have nylon or rubber pads and the sharp ridges can damage them. For a rectangular cutout, trailer ramp for instance, once it's on sawhorses marked out with a couple 2x4 under to hold it straight can easy have it cut in 15 min with grinder and thin blades. Rat tail grinder works well because it's a 2 hander with good control. .040 cutting wheels are not very tolerant towards binding. :roll:
    Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Depends in the dimensions of what you'll be needing and the direction of the diamond pattern (if using specifically for traction), but a thin kerf cutting wheel can leave the diamond intact on both sides of the cut when following the angle of the expansion. Makes it much nicer to handle and less grinder work later. A little hammer work on a hot weld can do wonders also...Image

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Chedda93
    Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:27 am

Circular saw will work... make sure to wear a long sleeve an face shield. Hurts when them metal flakes hit you lol.
homeboy

[quote="bplayer405"]Depends in the dimensions of what you'll be needing and the direction of the diamond pattern (if using specifically for traction), but a thin kerf cutting wheel can leave the diamond intact on both sides of the cut when following the angle of the expansion. Makes it much nicer to handle and less grinder work later. A little hammer work on a hot weld can do wonders also.
Neat job! :D
PacoG817
    Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:24 am

With a piece of soapstone mark your lines and go on the part right before the mesh. Cut on the edge of each diamond so when you tack you have roughly 1/8-1/4 inch to weld. With the Metabo grind in a pattern the disc will do all the work and cut your section. Metabo works best I’ve tried them all, now when we’re talking 1/4 non flat rolled then it is ideal to use a torch of any kind. And with that I cut the tips of the diamond above/next and weld under the center per diamond.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

My supplier won't shear the raised expanded metal, as someone else had mentioned. I just lay the full sheets on a few 2x4's, mark with a tape measure and sharpie, and then zip through it with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. It cuts way faster than you may think it would.
Ballistic308
    Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Spartan wrote:My supplier won't shear the raised expanded metal, as someone else had mentioned. I just lay the full sheets on a few 2x4's, mark with a tape measure and sharpie, and then zip through it with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. It cuts way faster than you may think it would.
This...just seconds fast and not minutes. Ensure the alignment is centered when cutting with a disc or you could create your own version of razor wire.
Ballistic308

Spartan wrote:My supplier won't shear the raised expanded metal, as someone else had mentioned. I just lay the full sheets on a few 2x4's, mark with a tape measure and sharpie, and then zip through it with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. It cuts way faster than you may think it would.
This...just seconds fast and not minutes. Ensure the alignment is centered when cutting with a disc or you could create your own version of razor wire.
Ballistic308