Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

When you drill into your vice twice in a row.

Faaaark I hate that. Like little permanent badges of incompetence.
7162BD42-382A-4E00-A64E-83B580B0CA4D.jpeg
7162BD42-382A-4E00-A64E-83B580B0CA4D.jpeg (74.27 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I never understood why people choose to do that? Am I missing something??? ;) At least you can fill it and fly cut it to get it back flat.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I'm sure at some point I've done the same, but I don't sweat it. If I did, the vises on the mills here have had so many people do it before me that I'd be hard pressed to tell if there was a new divot. :mrgreen:

I'd avoid welding on it unless you don't like straight square parts. You'd need a surface grinder to dress it back up and you'd need to hit both top and bottom to get it to sit flat again. Maybe better to just tape off the flat surface and paint the holes with florescent orange paint as a reminder to use parallels next time. :D
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

PS: As a side note, I also use various sized 6" lengths of aluminum bar as parallels for general use. It's a ton easier on end mills or drills if you should catch on em, and a it keeps all my sets of hardened ground parallels parallel. :D Most stuff I do doesn't require the precision of a hardened parallel matched set, so I don't get worked up about the fact that a part might be sitting lower by .0003" over 5" on one side.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Use Devcon to fill any "maori carvings", it makes cleaning easier and you won't snag your hand on a chip doing a final wipe before mounting a job or vice on a table.
LanceR
    Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm

When it come to stuff of this sort there's only two kinds of people.....them that have and them that will. Don't sweat it. And when you get home just remember that friends don't let fiends drink lite beer.

Best regards,
LanceR

Miller Multimatic 255
Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
Heck Bevel Mill 4000
Ace fume extractor
Welding/cutting/brazing torches
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I use those divots as a reason to have two vices. I named my two vices. Rum and Beer.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

At least it’s a sign that you actually use it. I’ve seen more than a few shops that are not much more than a showcase for a idiot . As for the holes……you should see mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:58 pm

I feel your pain.

My "Buffalo Fan and Forge" drill press is older than I.

I still recall the Oh-shit when I put that 5/16" divot in the table.

Cheers, Alan
Attachments
DrillPressTable.jpg
DrillPressTable.jpg (41.72 KiB) Viewed 2725 times