Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
delgriffith
    Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:55 pm

I got this set from an employer in lieu of pay nearly 30 years ago and it's been sitting in storage ever since. I'm wondering what all it might take to get the cutting torch,welding torch and at least one of the two sets of regulators working. I was hoping the pics turned out better so you could read the regulators. The one with the vintage knobs is PrestoWeld. The other one I think says U.C. And L Corp or something like that. Can these be rebuilt? Do they most certainly need it? What about the torch handles? Last pic of the hose shows some cracking when you bend them. I'm assuming it's best to replace the hoses? If so is there any non-Chinesium heavy duty hose out there that would match the build quality of this stuff? Thanks for any thoughts.

Edit: just saw the pics got cropped on this site. If you right click on them and open in a new tab or separate window there is a little more image showing.

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

By the time you buy new hoses and rebuild the regulator’s you can buy a new torch set. It won’t be cheaper because your set need a lot of attention. But I personally don’t always take the cheap route.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
delgriffith
    Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:55 pm

I don't mind paying a bit more than a new set. I doubt the new ones are built as solidly. Plus not nearly as retro-cool.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Well then I am sure someone can post up the info, I don’t have it saved. There are several companies listed in old posts that rebuild regulators and torch heads.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

My understanding is new torches are much safer than vintage.

We've solved a lot of the hazards like adding built in flashback arresters and check valves in to the torch.

If it were me I'd trash that unit and get a journeymen kit from Victor or Smith.

Cheers.