Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Mattymac
    Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:46 pm

I have a 1/2 thick 4"x3" steel lintel that needs to be removed from a commercial basement. The lintel backs up to concrete (header for a concrete deck) its suffering decent section loss and needs to be replaced. Am I able to run my plasma torch and make an effective cut in order to replaced the lintel? Can I make a good severance with concrete directly behind the steel? I'd rather not bury the grinder/demo saw.

Secondly, part of the job is removing about 5 sq/ft of rusted Q-deck that is the basement ceiling at this point. This is the same situation. Plasma cutting through the Steel that is backed with concrete. Is this practical?

I have a hypertherm 30 AIR that I'd like to use. I'll cut with the the grinder if that makes more sense - so be it. But who wants to cut with the grinder when you have a brand new Plasma Torch? :P

For reference; I am a restoration mason, and I do a fair bit of SMAW and MIG in the field. Im not very well versed in Plasma cutting in general, but this seemed worth the ask.

Matt