Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Is it just me, or are there no real affordable options for being able to cut metal stock precisely in order to get a gap free fit-up on metal parts (for TIG welding) without having to do a bunch of sanding / grinding? I have an Evolution 7 1/4 metal saw and a decent horizontal band saw but I have to use a small speed square to set 90 and 45 degree angles. For everything else I have to trust the built in "gauges" and we know how accurate they are.

What I would love to find would a good double miter saw designed for metal cutting without having to break the bank. I have an older DeWalt double miter saw, but it spins waaaay to fast (3600 RPM) for metal cutting unless I use an abrasive blade, but they throw a ton of sparks and wear quickly.

Any suggestions?
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

plenty of bandsaws that are good enough.
catch with the cheap ones is you need to do a bit of fine tuning to get them right, and constant checking.
i just have a cheap bandsaw and not even a linisher to clean the cut up on. works well enough.
tweak it until it breaks
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

I tend to do bulk cutting on saw or bandsaw, but if I cant get access to a good bandsaw I just use a thin cut off on an angle grinder.
Its not 'that' difficult and gets very close with practice. That being said I used to be a pipefitter on 6ft - 10ft diameter pipe, making all sorts of lat joints and transitions in situ. Marking off properly is everything.
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Tim8888 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:26 pm Is it just me, or are there no real affordable options for being able to cut metal stock precisely in order to get a gap free fit-up on metal parts (for TIG welding) without having to do a bunch of sanding / grinding? I have an Evolution 7 1/4 metal saw and a decent horizontal band saw but I have to use a small speed square to set 90 and 45 degree angles. For everything else I have to trust the built in "gauges" and we know how accurate they are.

What I would love to find would a good double miter saw designed for metal cutting without having to break the bank. I have an older DeWalt double miter saw, but it spins waaaay to fast (3600 RPM) for metal cutting unless I use an abrasive blade, but they throw a ton of sparks and wear quickly.

Any suggestions?
If your Dewalt has a brushed motor, switch out the brushes for a harder brush. Like in remote controlled cars, soft brushes will give you speed at the cost of torque, hard will give you torque at the cost of speed.

Note: Hard brushes will last longer also, take a file and cut in as close as you can the radius of the commentator. You can use a socket the same OD size as the commentator to check it.