Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
taiwanluthiers
    Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:21 am

I've seen a lot of oa cutting setup in Taiwan, even in factory settings where they have several tanks of oxygen tanks and acetylene tanks. But I've never seen a single plasma cutter in Taiwan except at stores selling welders.

I had a 3 in 1 that has plasma and I love it. It cuts through all conductive materials with ease. Oa torches only cuts mild steel, it won't cut stainless, titanium, copper, or anything else. It's very limiting and the fact that you're tied to having two large tanks with expensive gas consumable makes it worse. All it needs is compressed air and electricity and you can cut any metal like it's a freaking lightsaber.

They even make integrated plasma cutters now, that has an integrated air compressor so you won't need shop air, but plasma don't need that much air anyways.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Plasma cutters are limited in amperage to the total thickness they can cut. It requires a lot of amps to rip through 2” thick stock. Whereas an OA setup really only needs an appropriate tip to deal with very thick material.

As for shops that only have OA, perhaps they only deal with mild steel and it serves them perfectly well. I have both. Plasma can be very handy, but OA has other general advantages like cutting rusty, dirty material or when an air compressor is not convenient (not to mention power service).
taiwanluthiers

I guess what I've realized is that it's very rare for me, or actually most people in the shops I've seen in Taiwan to cut any metal that's more than 1/2" in thickness. A 40 amp plasma cutter will cut 1/2", not particularly well, but it will do it. What I love about it is not having to worry about running out of gas, and acetylene is expensive in Taiwan, with a refill costing over 30 dollars for a larger (120CF sized) tank, then you need an oxygen tank (again 120CF) that's another 20 dollars. If you do much of any cutting you'll go through them extremely quickly.

Most metal you need to plasma cut in places I've seen in Taiwan is about 6mm in thickness, and those 3 in 1 welders will do that VERY easily. I used to use it to cut up larger sheet of stainless so I can make coupons for practice. Using an angle grinder would take forever and I don't have a shear.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Then I guess you know everything without the need to pose a question.
taiwanluthiers

Well, how often do you rip through 2 inch thick steel plate? Only place in Taiwan I have ever seen cut anything that thick outside of a scrap yard or construction is at a steel supplier, and they don't use a torch to rip through that, they use a bandsaw.

If you're cutting through 1/4 inch stock most the time, and you're in a shop with electricity, it makes more sense to use plasma.

Or is there another advantage to using flame to cut fairly thin steel that plasma don't have? It takes huge skills to cut steel cleanly with a torch, it requires almost no skill to do the same with plasma. In fact I could just use a framing square or a try square as a guide, and cut perfectly straight line with plasma. It's so easy and the cut looks great.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

people use gas to cut with because they already have it. its very common to use for heating and bending. where as a plasma cutter is an optional extra. so good shops that do enough thin material will use a plasma because its cheaper to do so.
tweak it until it breaks
taiwanluthiers

Multi process welder that include plasma is incredibly common these days... often don't have to buy them extra unless they are doing CNC. Besides it saves on gas because gas cutting uses a LOT of oxygen.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

taiwanluthiers wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:58 pm Multi process welder that include plasma is incredibly common these days...
only in the hobby market, and even then not supper common. they tend to be more common in the cheap to bad machines. most good brands don't do multi's with plasma.
most multi welders are typically not great. its only been recent years we have seen good brands bring out very good multi machines.

most medium to large workshops don't like multi machines anyway. a lot better to use separate machines. its only really hobby and small workshops that use mulit's.
i have one myself and i never use the tig functions of it. i have a few separate tig machines and separate plasma cutter, and i'm only a hobbyist.
tweak it until it breaks
taiwanluthiers

I really like plasma though and the welders I have budget for isn't going to be the best machines out there.

The plasma makes it easier for me to break up larger pieces of stainless steel into coupons for me to practice welding on... Angle grinder is loud and slow, and oxyacetylene torches cannot cut stainless.