Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
sunjon88
    Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:15 pm

I recently purchased a bunch of oxy-acetylene welding gear, and I've been welding with it problem free. However, yesterday when I was using the cutting torch (it's a Smith) I noticed that it wasn't working properly. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's a problem with the cutting attachment itself. When I turn on the acetylene on the torch handle and light it, everything is normal. But then, when I turn on the oxygen on the torch handle, the flame changes when it shouldn't, because the oxygen valve on the cutting attachment itself is closed. Also, when I press the handle on the cutting torch, it doesn't do anything. I also tried this without lighting it, with just listening for gas flow. Acetylene flows normally, but it seems like the oxygen valve on the cutting attachment is not working, because you can hear oxygen flowing when you turn the oxygen knob on the torch handle.

I called the Smith headquarters so that I can send it in to get replaced/repaired, but I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right. Is there something that I'm doing wrong so as to cause this problem, or is it just that the torch is malfunctioning? Anyway, I'd appreciate your input, as I am a relatively new welder (~2 years experience). Thanks.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

It's been many years since I've used a torch, but if I remember correctly, there are o-rings and other sealers in the lines which will wear out over time and they need to be replaced every now and then. You should probably take it in to a local supplier/ repair shop and they could fix it for you for a small charge.

Like I said, it's been many years, so I'm only guessing that's the problem. It may be something else.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder