Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I am looking into getting a Plasma Machine. Consider me uneducated on the subject. Seems there are a lot of machines out there. I am looking for something that will cleanly cut 1/2" material. As always the better the price the better for me.

Any suggestions???
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

A machine that will cut that thick and cleanly will cost quite a bit, I would guess well over $1500 and you will also need an air compressor with a high rate of recovery which will also cost quite a bit. A little portable compressor will not keep up and any plasma cutter I've seen with built in air could barely cut 18 ga. sheet metal.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

delraydella wrote:A machine that will cut that thick and cleanly will cost quite a bit, I would guess well over $1500 and you will also need an air compressor with a high rate of recovery which will also cost quite a bit. A little portable compressor will not keep up and any plasma cutter I've seen with built in air could barely cut 18 ga. sheet metal.

Already have a good compressor. maybe I need to lower my wants to 3/8 " ?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

jody just made a video on a miller diversion plasma cutter. check it out. im not sure of price though.

Mick
Ed from Ohiol
    Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 pm

I recomend looking into the Everlast Power Plasma 50 with blow back start, this does not have high freq. start. I paid under $600 from Everlast through make an offer on EBay. I've owned and used mine now for over a year and it has been great! I've cut 5/8" steel cutting edges VG and all the 1/2" steel and under I've cut was an excellent cut. Aluminum I cut was only up to 1/4" but was also excellent. This plasma cutter will cut as good as the 80 amp miller we have at work that we've been using for many years. Every one I have showed and let use it are very impressed with it, especially at half or less of the price of the Thermo, Miller or lincoln. So in my opinion it is very well looking into. Ed.K.