Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
tkimbrell
    Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:56 am

I inherited a large industrial saw that has approx. 1" thick aluminum plate table. This table is maybe 6'x12'. I would like to cut some sections from it to make some work benches from it and I'm not sure how best to cut it up. It's in an area where there is no power and I wanted to know if it would be possible to cut it with my acetylene torch or not? I don't know the risk factors and if it can be cut properly with a torch. Anyone have some ideas?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You'll make a hell of a mess, but you can sort-of "cut" it with a torch, by melting and dripping a wide path.

If you have no power available, probably the best option is to rent a "gas ax", a gasoline-fueled (usually two-stroke mix-gas) cut-off saw. Be sure to get aluminum-cutting disks or blade for it... The steel and concrete cutting disks will load up almost immediately. Tell the rental-store guy what you're doing with it. A four-hour rental will cost less then the gas you'll waste making a mess with a torch, and you'll barely need to dress the edges with a grinder.

Steve S
tkimbrell
    Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks Steve, that sounds like a good plan if I can find a place with the right kind of blade.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Tkimbrell.

Many ways to cut aluminium plate, and probably oxy-acetylene is close to the last choice. A small power generator would give you many better cutting options to choose.

During your oxy-acetylene torch cutting of steel, the oxygen burns the iron, which generates additional heat for cutting.

Instead, in attempting to torch cut aluminium, that oxygen immediately makes an aluminium oxide layer and inhibits the oxygen from burning the metal. The metal would end up being melted and falls with gravity, as you move along with the torch.

You might attempt to add iron, since iron burns in the presence of oxygen. My guess is that you do not have a powder cutting torch which would allow you to add iron powder to the mix. Instead, while you move the cutting torch along, you could try to feed iron rod into the mix. Experiment.

You may want to clamp a guide bar to help ensure a straight cut.
Later, you will probably lose a few mm due to grinding the cut.

Alexa
stomper
    Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 am

Small generator and a sawsall with metal blade. Just thinking out loud. It might take a bit of work being 1" thick material but it would work. I wonder though if the blade would plug up with alunimum.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I second the sawzall idea and aluminum won't plug up the blade, if you select the right blade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az1CDxhqe8o

Yesterday,
I was working in my shop and was trying to cut some steel with a thin composite blade on my disc grinder,
I thought to myself, this is pretty slow going, so I grabbed the sawzall and things speeded up in a hurry.
I was zipping thru 1/4" plate steel and angle iron in no time flat. So, the Sawzall gets my vote!
stomper wrote:Small generator and a sawsall with metal blade. Just thinking out loud. It might take a bit of work being 1" thick material but it would work. I wonder though if the blade would plug up with alunimum.
Bigreez
  • Bigreez

I have in the past done some sizesble projects in power substations and the best I have seen for cuting aluminum is a mag 77 skillsaw with a carbide blade. If neat and clean isn't your thing a gas power demolition saw is fast and cuts aluminum like butter with a 14" carbide blade. Good luck hope it helps .
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I love a sawzall - but it would be quite slow on long cuts of 1" ( depends a bit on model - look for an industrial model with the longest stroke available - not some Home Depot / Walmart hobby tool ) I find the Evolution 230 steel cutting circular saw quite good - especially on long straight cuts - it will run on a fairly small generator - I've had one for a while & it's especially good for cutting plate out ready for welding as you can cut a bevel weld prep edge with it ( for my work 70degrees is normal ) just need to dress a slight land on the cut edge depending on material thickness - only downside is alot of plate now is import & may have odd hard spots in - this quickly dulls the blade which is fricking annoying - think their available in most countries.
The stated capacity is 12mm cut - but thats steel & mine has cut a fair length of 5/8" boiler plate without problem - never tried 1" ally, but I did do some 20mm & it sailed through that - don't be tempted by the cheaper multi purpose saw - it's really only a wood saw that will cut the occasional nail - relative price reflects this.
Here's a link to one on Ebay - sure there are other suppliers or them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Evolution ... 338183180d
honey
    Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:23 am

i would like to appreciate you for sharing such a great info with us
learnalanguage.com http://learnalanguage.com/
actualtests 000-106 actualtests 000-106
actualtests ccip actualtests ccip
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

I have both a Sthil gas demo saw and a metal cutting circular saw.
I have been told that a carbide wood blade turned backwards works well on aluminum.
Unfortunately nobody has given me any 1” plate (aluminum or otherwise to cut)
So if someone would please give me some 1” aluminum plate I will report back… :lol:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Don't turn it backward for anything but thin sheet to maybe 1/4" Al plate. You'll just pull teeth off. A coarse carbide blade, with teeth set as a rip-saw (vs. crosscut) does work very well, but for 1", it'll take patience, letting the blade do the work and not forcing it.

I wonder if and how tkimbrell got this project done? He never posted back with his results.

Steve S
    Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:22 pm

The new "Dual Saws", are great for cutting aluminium plate. I have used one for about a year and have had favorable results. They are inexpensive and usually on sale in a lot of the wearhouse stores, COSTCO, SAMS CLUB, ect. You can cut up to a 1-1/4" plate, the only thing you really need worry about is kick back, it should really not become an issue if you hold the saw tight and let the saw do the cutting. Don't force it! WD40 works great as a lubricant and prevents galling, just a tip from and old machinist.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm

Call me crazy, but i use a Milwaukee circular saw. The blades are cheap, cuts super straight, and is quick! Just dont forget a face shield and appropriate body covering, the shavings are ruthless!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Nah man, I won't call you crazy. I called Braehill crazy until I tried it myself, and it works like a dream as long as your not an idiot. Granted, I didn't cut 1" plate, but it still worked like a dream.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

I cut 1x3 y 1x4 6061 in my Milwaukee miter saw using a carbide tipped blade. I cut 1/4 inch sheet aluminum on a plain old table saw.Protect yourself ! That chit flies EVERYWHERE.You could take a REAL circular saw(15A worm drive) and cut that plate up quick and straight.Support it well. That plate shouldn't move at all. You don't just let the drop fall like a pice of wood :shock: