Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
larry lee
    Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Multiplaz-3500 Evaluation, Part 14: Summary and Conclusions

DISCLAIMER!
Let me emphasize that I will not be able to tell you whether the Multiplaz-3500, or any other piece of equipment, will be a good investment for you. Only you can decide that. My intent is to provide as much factual information as I can about the Multiplaz-3500 so that others in our company can make an informed decision about that. The company has no objection to my sharing the information with you as long as I leave their name out of it and make it clear that I am not endorsing any particular product.
DISCLAIMER!

Due to other demands at work and at home, it has been several months since I posted any information about the Multiplaz-3500 Evaluation. Our testing at work has been completed and I will offer some comments and conclusions that we have reached. But first, here is a summary of my previous postings related to this evaluation.

Summary of Multiplaz-3500 Evaluation: Parts 1 to 13

Part 01: Plasmas and Plasma Torches (Sep 16, 2012)
Part 02: The Multiplaz Technology Co., LTD. and the Multiplaz Technology (Sep 23, 2012)
Part 03: Incoming Inspection and Preliminary Tests (Sep 30, 2012)
Part 04: Testing the Cutting Torch (Oct 14, 2012)
Part 05: Comparing the Multiplaz Cutting Torch (Oct 14, 2012)
Part 06: Comparing the Multiplaz Cutting Torch (continued) (Oct 21, 2012)
Part 07: Testing the Cutting Torch (conclusion) (Nov 04, 2012)
Part 08: Electrical Power Issues (Nov 26, 2012)
Part 09: Testing the Welding Torch (Feb 24, 2013)
Part 10: Health and Safety Issues (Mar 04, 2013)
Part 11: Testing the Welding Torch (continued) (Mar 10, 2013)
Part 12: Comparing the Welding Torch (Mar 10, 2013)
Part 13: Health and Safety Issues (continued) (Apr 22, 2013)

Conclusions of Our Evaluation

The greatest advantage of the Multiplaz-3500 over conventional welding technology is the constricted plasma arc that is produced without the use of a tank of compressed inert gas.

The greatest disadvantage of the Multiplaz-3500 over conventional welding technology is the constricted plasma arc that is produced without the use of a tank of compressed inert gas.

As is usually the case, there is no “ideal technology”. Every technology has its advantages and disadvantages. In the case of the Mulitplaz-3500, the constricted plasma arc produces a hotter, more focused arc that reduces the heat-affected zone (HAZ) and offers deeper penetration for the same input power to the arc. The use of (water converted to) steam as the plasma gas produces a clean, smoke-free plasma without the need for a tank of compressed inert gas (e.g., argon or helium).

But the use of steam also means that it is not possible to adequately shield the weld pool from contamination from the nitrogen and oxygen in the surrounding atmosphere, nor from the hydrogen and oxygen in the plasma itself. And the higher arc temperature of the constricted plasma means that the weld pool is narrower, deeper, and hotter on the surface. Hence, much of the molten metal is contaminated with hydrogen and nitrogen, and the surface of the weld pool is more oxidized. The result is a weld that has much lower tensile strength and is more brittle. The effect is much more noticeable in stainless steel than in low carbon steel because of the differences in the physical and chemical properties of the oxides produced.

Does that mean that the Multiplaz-3500 has no usefulness? No! It depends upon what you need from the weld. While it certainly would not be acceptable for welding a pipeline or a structural element, nor for production welding, it might be fine for fixing the back gate or welding a cover over a rusted-out piece of sheet steel in an auto body or in a piece of farm equipment.

So, considering the price and the advantages/disadvantages of the Multiplaz-3500, is it a good investment? As I have stated in my DISCLAIMER at the start of every post, only you can decide that. My hope is that I have provided some information that will help you make an informed decision.

In closing. I would like to again emphasize my statement in Part 13 of this evaluation.

Take care not to breathe the emissions from anything you weld, whether you can see a plume of smoke or not.

larry lee
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Thank you Larry,

Both for the effort you put into this evaluation, and for your (and your company's) willingness to share it here.

I'm not too surprised with your conclusions... Every tool has it's place and purpose, and the marketing departments of many companies tend to inflate their claims for the product's abilities.

I learned years ago, when marketing anything (any product, any service, or even yourself [to an employer, or a potential mate :oops: ]), you should always UNDER-promise and OVER-deliver. If you provide more than you promise, people will tell their friends. If you promise more than you provide, people will tell anyone who will listen.

Steve S
larry lee
    Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Thank you Larry,

Both for the effort you put into this evaluation, and for your (and your company's) willingness to share it here.

I'm not too surprised with your conclusions... Every tool has it's place and purpose, and the marketing departments of many companies tend to inflate their claims for the product's abilities.

I learned years ago, when marketing anything (any product, any service, or even yourself [to an employer, or a potential mate :oops: ]), you should always UNDER-promise and OVER-deliver. If you provide more than you promise, people will tell their friends. If you promise more than you provide, people will tell anyone who will listen.

Steve S
Steve,

I couldn't agree more.
Thanks to you and to Jody for the hospitality and usefulness of this website.
If I have any other interesting and/or relevant information, I will post it.

Best regards to all,

larry lee
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

As with any evaluation of a product, I will respect your observations.

I've bought the MultiPlaz and so has my friend Garnet. We both are very satisfied with its capabilities and usefulness. I weld mostly mild steel with this equipment and I find it to be a very capable torch. I prefer to use it in Mode 1 which closely resembles an oxy/acetylene setup, while Garnet prefers to weld in Mode 2 which somewhat resembles a Tig setup.

For those who have not tried the MultiPlaz, if you ever get the chance, I suggest that you try it for yourself and decide whether it meets your requirements. I'm very happy with my purchase as are many other individuals who have done the same. It's a very unique product and it may not be suited for every situation, as is the same with any other form of welding equipment.

I like the fact that I don't have to purchase expensive compressed gases in order to use it. It's light weight and portable, yet at the same time, it gets the job done for most general applications.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That, too, is well said.

Place and purpose. It seems to serve you, and many others, perfectly well.

It would likely serve me perfectly well for home use, for both repair and fabrication. I like O/A and TIG welding equally well, and like the idea of not buying gasses.

OTOH, based on the thorough evaluation, it would be impossible to get this process approved for the work I do, nor would I consider it for, say, a 4130 airframe.

My conclusion is that the marketing department somewhat inflated their claims for capabilities and limitations, using it's design origin for "in-orbit" welding as a "gee-whiz" sales tool.

Steve S
Chief
    Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:07 am

larry lee wrote:Multiplaz-3500 Evaluation, Part 14: Summary and Conclusions

DISCLAIMER!
Let me emphasize that I will not be able to tell you whether the Multiplaz-3500, or any other piece of equipment, will be a good investment for you. Only you can decide that. My intent is to provide as much factual information as I can about the Multiplaz-3500 so that others in our company can make an informed decision about that. The company has no objection to my sharing the information with you as long as I leave their name out of it and make it clear that I am not endorsing any particular product.
DISCLAIMER!

Due to other demands at work and at home, it has been several months since I posted any information about the Multiplaz-3500 Evaluation. Our testing at work has been completed and I will offer some comments and conclusions that we have reached. But first, here is a summary of my previous postings related to this evaluation.

Summary of Multiplaz-3500 Evaluation: Parts 1 to 13

Part 01: Plasmas and Plasma Torches (Sep 16, 2012)
Part 02: The Multiplaz Technology Co., LTD. and the Multiplaz Technology (Sep 23, 2012)
Part 03: Incoming Inspection and Preliminary Tests (Sep 30, 2012)
Part 04: Testing the Cutting Torch (Oct 14, 2012)
Part 05: Comparing the Multiplaz Cutting Torch (Oct 14, 2012)
Part 06: Comparing the Multiplaz Cutting Torch (continued) (Oct 21, 2012)
Part 07: Testing the Cutting Torch (conclusion) (Nov 04, 2012)
Part 08: Electrical Power Issues (Nov 26, 2012)
Part 09: Testing the Welding Torch (Feb 24, 2013)
Part 10: Health and Safety Issues (Mar 04, 2013)
Part 11: Testing the Welding Torch (continued) (Mar 10, 2013)
Part 12: Comparing the Welding Torch (Mar 10, 2013)
Part 13: Health and Safety Issues (continued) (Apr 22, 2013)

Conclusions of Our Evaluation

The greatest advantage of the Multiplaz-3500 over conventional welding technology is the constricted plasma arc that is produced without the use of a tank of compressed inert gas.

The greatest disadvantage of the Multiplaz-3500 over conventional welding technology is the constricted plasma arc that is produced without the use of a tank of compressed inert gas.

As is usually the case, there is no “ideal technology”. Every technology has its advantages and disadvantages. In the case of the Mulitplaz-3500, the constricted plasma arc produces a hotter, more focused arc that reduces the heat-affected zone (HAZ) and offers deeper penetration for the same input power to the arc. The use of (water converted to) steam as the plasma gas produces a clean, smoke-free plasma without the need for a tank of compressed inert gas (e.g., argon or helium).

But the use of steam also means that it is not possible to adequately shield the weld pool from contamination from the nitrogen and oxygen in the surrounding atmosphere, nor from the hydrogen and oxygen in the plasma itself. And the higher arc temperature of the constricted plasma means that the weld pool is narrower, deeper, and hotter on the surface. Hence, much of the molten metal is contaminated with hydrogen and nitrogen, and the surface of the weld pool is more oxidized. The result is a weld that has much lower tensile strength and is more brittle. The effect is much more noticeable in stainless steel than in low carbon steel because of the differences in the physical and chemical properties of the oxides produced.

Does that mean that the Multiplaz-3500 has no usefulness? No! It depends upon what you need from the weld. While it certainly would not be acceptable for welding a pipeline or a structural element, nor for production welding, it might be fine for fixing the back gate or welding a cover over a rusted-out piece of sheet steel in an auto body or in a piece of farm equipment.

So, considering the price and the advantages/disadvantages of the Multiplaz-3500, is it a good investment? As I have stated in my DISCLAIMER at the start of every post, only you can decide that. My hope is that I have provided some information that will help you make an informed decision.

In closing. I would like to again emphasize my statement in Part 13 of this evaluation.

Take care not to breathe the emissions from anything you weld, whether you can see a plume of smoke or not.

larry lee
Man I'm glad I read this. I've been looking at they're you tube videos and was very interested but was wondering why I haven't seen it on the nightly news. The thing that really hooked me was the whole system fit in bag that weighed 30 pounds.