Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

I work with mild steel up to 12 mm thick, and I wish to buy a plasma cutter. Most of my work for this cutter is plate under 8mm. I want to avoid buying a toy, but I don't want to get a machine way over my needs. Can anyone suggest good alternatives for me to consider. Thanks.
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Try Everlast. I have the PowerPlasma 70 and it works great. Click the name in the left column for more information on the particular model.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... ry-57.html

I'd recommend avoiding the cheaper Mosfet models.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

AnvilJack, I'll move this topic over to "General Shop Talk", where your question will get more traffic.

I also think I'm going to suggest adding a subforum for cutting processes, as these questions come up a lot, and there's not really a specific place for them.

Steve S

Sorry about that posting location. I'll get to learn this forum process, sooner or later. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, also for the Everlast information. I'll chase them down.

I'm told to watch the tank capacity and pressure of the compressor, as well as the amp range of the plasma cutter. Does the range 40 amp to 80 amp indicate a machine capable of the work I have outlined?

(I learned a long time ago that most sales people of welding gear have done a "short course" and product training, but very little actual work with their products.)
Oddjob83
    Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm

I find it very hard to trust anyone who is trying to sell you something. when i get something i want to BUY it, not be SOLD it. You want to find one that lists the recommended cut and gives you a severance cut range. And preferably an inches per minute cut speed, like 10 ipm on 3/4 but 20 ipm on 1/2 and so forth. the severance is the absolute MAX cut like for rare situations, and it will barely make it but it will still be possible and the pieces will slightly held together with the dross/slag and wont be as pretty looking.

I personally don't like the descriptions everlast uses for their multi-process units its just 40amp torch, or 50 amp torch. You are going to want to find one with a comfortable torch angle for ergonomics, readily available consumables for your area, some brands are cross compatible, although not many that i have noticed. You WILL want to get your self some type of Air drying system, whether its a desiccant style or condenser, as moisture will blow your consumables very quickly, and some units will come with moisture/particle collectors on them they are not dryers.

I have been on my boss lately to get one but I have to do all the research first. I am leaning toward Hypertherme but they are very expensive, but high quality and efficient as that is basically all they make.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

The amount of cutting your intending to do & whether it's a hobby / home shop being used occasionally with a budget out of your own pocket / not for profit or a use it all day everyday workshop / trade enviroment with the boss paying will be the biggest factor - yes the Thermal arc machines are nice - but at a cost & however much you hate import stuff it's getting better all the time ( & most brand name stuff is built there or the parts come from there even if their assembled elsewhere )
Perhaps you could clarify the intended use so the advice is appropriate.

First job is walkways for a four tier structure up a steep slope outdoors. Structure is up -- steel fabrications linked in the field --- and it is designed to accept the live and long term dead load of the walkways. I'm thinking the walkways will be propeller pattern plate, about 3mm. Walkways and landings have to be wide enough to accommodate a wheel barrow -- about 1200 mm.

Next job is a forge, using some 8mm stock for selected surfaces, but this is not yet fully designed. Could be some more forges on the way, too.

Workshop furniture construction -- all steel -- for several people "waiting" for my attention. I had my plate cut, but its time I grew up and stood on my own two feet.
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

Go with a Hypertherm 30 or Miller 375 X-treme. Those two are the best!!! If you want to save a few bucks and get great cuts, choose the Forney plasma cutter over Horrible Fright, Neverlast or any other Chinese junk cutters out there.
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.