Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I've got a quick question, I have an AC/DC 200amp TIG welder, and a separate Plasma Cutter, and I was wondering if it is possible to convert a TIG welder to also do Plasma Cutting? It might get old having to change out Argon for Air and such, but is it possible in a pinch?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Plasma cutting (any "hot" cutting) requires a high velocity stream of narrow gas/plasma. I assume you're talking about adapting a plasma torch to a TIG power source?

Steve S
    Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Plasma cutting (any "hot" cutting) requires a high velocity stream of narrow gas/plasma. I assume you're talking about adapting a plasma torch to a TIG power source?

Steve S
Can this be done? If yes then it gives me a use for my Shiyo 200 when my miller DX200 arrives
Marc. Aussie on the loose
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

To the best of my knowledge if the machine was'nt sold as a multi-process you cannot simply add a plasma torch as the voltage from a Tig / Stick welder won't maintain the arc across the electrode gap in the torch - depending on the machine - welders will output 50 > 70 volts ( open circuit ) whereas plasma cutters seem to vary some with different makes & torches but tend to be in the 100 plus up to sometimes 200 volts - I guess it would be simple enough to hook up a torch and try just to prove it one way or the other once you have your new welder.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm not assuming it's possible, in my previous reply. I'm taking a guess at the only possibility I see.

NoddyBrian's response leans me toward the "no" end of the spectrum, with the OCV issue, but I won't call it impossible.

That'd be a nice accessory, though... Here's a $200 torch that will make your 250DX a plasma cutter...

Steve S
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I don't see why it wouldn't work. You would need to use a plasma torch
and rig up an electronically controlled air valve to control the air jet.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

The cheap import multi-process machines use the same solonoid valve for Tig or Plasma - the torch uses the same fitting on the front of the machine & at the rear you swap between compressed air or argon on the same input ( hate this as you contaminate the machine with water & oil from the compressor ) the problem I see is that lets say you have a 200 amp welder - when welding your output is say 200amps @ 50volts but the plasma cutter will use maybe 200 volts @ 50 amps - the total power handled by the electronics in watts / kw is the same - but the relationship of amps / volts is very different - it's sorta like you get stick / mig multi-process machines - but you can't usually interchange the 2 machines if both single process machines - one is constant current the other is constant voltage ( makes sense ? ) obviously if someone has a cheap import they don't care if they kill - try it - the torch fittings are usually the same & let us know - if it does work I'd be surprised - .but it would be a bonus
    Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks. But I will not be trying it if it destroys my cheap machine at minimum I can still use it as a stick unit.
Just got made redundant last night so packing up to move to Japan. Hopefully I can burn some metal there to make a few coins.
Marc. Aussie on the loose
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I was mainly asking about doing this because I was hoping to carry only one unit when I need to weld away from home. I hadnt considered the possibility of contamination.