Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

For cutting and heating ( Rosebud tip ) what settings are required on the regulators?
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Check this out. Hope it helps.
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (104.94 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

set the oxy @ 35-40 psi and the acetaline at 7-10 psi and you should be good for most applications.
Tom O
    Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm

The manufacturer of your torch has charts for type of tip and their proper pressures. Contact them or go online for their charts.
Tim
  • Tim
    Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:03 pm

A rosebud tip is a heating tip that you use for making a low temp solder joint - copper water pipe, air conditioning pipe. its not a cutting tip. Rosebud tips for oxy/acet torches are operated with acetalene only and get their oxygen from the atmosphere. Or, you can get a rosebud specific soldering handpiece for $25 that operates with MAPP or propane ... and you get a soft, low temp flame which is perfect for soldering a copper pipe.

Cutting requires 40psi oxygen to firstly superheat the metal and secondly to blow it physically out of the way. Kinda like a plasma cutter that uses high pressure compressed air. If you add oxygen to a rosebud tip, you will melt the tip off.

Tim,
Don't want to offend you, but the info you provided is not accurate. You should check into the subject a little more.
Jim
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Jim, I think tim is only wrong in name. I think Tim is talking about the slip-on tips made for body soldering and light heating applications. I've heard them called rosebuds (they're not.) before and they are an acetylene-air device and you will pop the tip off the end if you add in oxy. I can't seem to find a picture 'cause I don't actually know their proper name, but theres a brass ferrule with a rubber gasket that slips over a standard welding tip and in the ferrule around the tip there are air inlet holes so the flame can draw air and create turbulence. I think the body on the one my grandpa has is rubber, then it goes to a fairly wide opening tip.

basically, it's just converting your oxy/acetylene rig into a plumbers-style air-fuel torch without changing tips. they work good for what it's worth, but its a hell of a lot cheaper to just use the plumbers torch.

Ogorir,
That makes a little more sense. Have never heard of that kind of heating tip before. Thanks
Jim
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Tim
  • Tim
    Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:03 pm

jpence38 wrote:Tim,
Don't want to offend you, but the info you provided is not accurate. You should check into the subject a little more.
Jim, well it is offensive when you say someone is wrong without saying why. That is just plain ignorant. I'm talking about a turbo torch kinda thing for solder joints. If thats not what you're talking about, then your question was just too vague. Sorry to bother you.

Tim,
First of all, I didn't ask a question. I answered the original post's question about cutting and heating settings on regulators. He didn't want to know what a rosebud was and nothing was even mentioned about soldering. I can certainly understand wanting to help someone, but if you are not sure about your information then you really should not answer a question. Your information was WRONG for what the question was asking. And you don't bother me.
Jim
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

where i come from (n.y.c.) a rosebud is an oxy~acetylene tip or attachment that's used to pre-heat weld joints or heating material prior to bending or forging. the air only torch used in sweating plumbing and/or refrigeration lines is called a turbo torch. for general burning (up to 5" thick)and (rosebud) heating i set the oxygen regulator to 40psi and the acetelene to 10psi. for brazing and silver soldering i reduce these settings by half, 20 and 5psi. there is a large propane heating torch used in roofing and general heating jobs that's also called a rosebud. yeah, it's confusing isn't it?
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

i set mine at 40# oxy and 5-7# for general cutting. i found that dropping the oxy to 20# for rosebud operation works well. the setting is usually indicative of the btu rating of the tip. the torch manu. should be helpful like the chart i just saw
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

"oh no you did'nt!!"

haha. :o