Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Sjohnson1980
    Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:14 pm

I know this sounds really newb but, I know you have to put a 22.5 degree bevel on a 1inch piece of steel when doing the 3G test. I've seen some people cut these bevels with rail driven cutting torchs that are set but a friend of mine told me that your expected to do it with a angle grinder by hand when taking a test for like a AWS cert or something. Anyone got any advice on how it's done during a test? I'm thinking the angle grinder makes sense. It's just one of those questions that I never really got answered.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I bevel plate with a metal cutting skilsaw with the angle cut mechinisum ;)
works like a charm 8-)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:I bevel plate with a metal cutting skilsaw with the angle cut mechinisum ;)
works like a charm 8-)

I will post a pic of it here soon :arrow:

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Sjohnson1980

How do you think they would want you to do it at a Weld Test?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

On a typical test, you'll have to grind it.

Not that tough. Practice it at home for 15 minutes, and you've got it. They're not going to measure it... Just a visual.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:On a typical test, you'll have to grind it.

Not that tough. Practice it at home for 15 minutes, and you've got it. They're not going to measure it... Just a visual.

Steve S
Steve, are you serious? :o 22.5 deg bevel on 1 inch steel plate?? with a 9 in grinder??
MAN is that a lot of grinding
I've ground 3/8 test plates, but Man, 1 inch
You will be worn out before you even turn your welder on....
But if that's the rules...... :(

Sorry, John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Got to say that's a fair chunk to grind & keep consistent for angle & land - over here the weld test inspector / supervisor will want to look at your plates prior to tacking but on the tests I've taken they've not cared how the prep angle was achieved traditionally we used a carbide tipped slab cutter in a milling machine but more recently if the thickness was suitable we use cold cut TCT circular saws ( ie Evolution ) - track cutters with oxy /acet can be used - but your in for nearly as much grinding as the heat affected zone / carburized zone has to be ground back - if you have to grind it I suggest roughing it out with one disc - then switch to a new one & hold it as flat as possible across as near the center line of the disc as possible giving the widest contact area reducing the tendency to " dig in " - I think a track cutter with a plasma torch would be a good alternative - I keep meaning to order a straight torch & try it on my old " BOC pug " - not got to it yet ! - pending list is still quite long.

OUCH! I didn't notice the 1" plate part of tthe question. That IS a lot of work...

The last time I saw a 3/4" plate test, the coupons were cut at about 25*, and only had to be dressed and "landed", now that I think about it. That was many years ago, though, and only one instance, so don't "quote" me on it...

Sorry... I have to pay more attention when I read.

Steve S
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

It really depends on where you take the test. Grinding on 1" plate will be tough but make sure you do not leave it short because if it is too steep it is harder to weld. The most often used method for beveling thick plate is a track-burner. Just make sure to clean it up with a flap disc prior to welding. If it is machined or cold cut it will require less grinding and the edge will be straighter. Good luck!
Sjohnson1980

Thanks guys all great answers. I appreciate your time and info. It was very helpful, hopefully they got a track burner lol.

Sjohnson,

On re-reading your original question, it occurred to me, I've never taken a heavy plate test that did NOT have pre-cut coupons, with the bevel pre-cut, and all you have to do is dress it to your satisfaction.

Good luck, and tell us the story when it's done.

Steve S

AKweldshop wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:I bevel plate with a metal cutting skilsaw with the angle cut mechinisum ;)
works like a charm 8-)

I will post a pic of it here soon :arrow:
photo.JPG [attachment=2]photo.JPG
[attachment=2]photo.JPG

Then I dress up the bevel and land with my big ole grinder ;)

20 bucks for the saw, and blades are $5 :shock:
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (189.55 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (136.26 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (109.14 KiB) Viewed 2664 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

recently i took the d1.1 structural test in a aws testing facility. the 1" plates were pre-beveled and ready to go. all i had to do was tack,weld and pass. for the dough it cost pre cut plates was the least they could do. other places have 55 gal drums full of test plates. in other's they put the tacked plates in a little box for a limited access test.