Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Fallon
    Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:49 pm

I have a Miller Maxstar 200 & one of the cheap ubiquitous 4.5"x7" horizontal bandsaws that's always finicky. We recently moved to 5 acres with a shop, so I now have more room to tinker & more projects. I've come to realize the bandsaw & hand tools aren't up to snuff for current & upcoming tinkering projects. Using my tractor implements as a baseline, I don't think I'll have to end up cutting much over 1/2" ever. I putter & tinker, so will be using it maybe monthly, but nothing industrial
I have a decent compressor, but probably need to dry the air, which doesn't look to be that much trouble

I'm thinking either a plasma cutter or oxy-propane torch is going to be my best route, but am looking for advice.

Some of the Everlast Plasma cutters in the 50@ range come in at around $600, a little more than torches & tanks, but not too much. My wild guess is consumables on the plasma cutter are in the same ballpark as filling the tanks for a torch. So are my assumptions that they will be in the same ballpark to purchase & operate about right?

I can TIG (not that well), so don't see much if any value to flame welding. Preheating & brazing might be handy though & the torch has a portability factor. Anything I'm missing?

Can anybody give me some insight as to the pros & cons of the various plasma torch start types? I understand the issues with high frequency & electronics, but as much as I'd love to make a CNC table, it's not likely at all.

I was eyeing the Everlast multi-process machines & occasionally I had AC on my Maxtar 200, but get the feeling I'd be better off with a dedicated plasma cutter. Jody seems to like the Everlast as an inexpensive brand & I've generally seen good things about them, so I'd been checking them out. A Miller or something is probably a better machine, but at least double the price, I couldn't justify the cost for tinkering & puttering. Any other recommendations?

I think I'm leaning towards getting a 50@ Everlast, but suggestions are definitely welcome.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Fallon,

The only thing I'll say with certainty, is that the consumables for a plasma cutter (with fairly dry air) will NEVER approach the cost of oxy/fuel cutting. If you can make the investment for a good plasma cutter, it will pay for itself against the price of acetylene.

Oxy/propane is doable, but propane is through the roof right now due to the harsh winter.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Fallon,
I have mixed feelings on cutting processes. Plasma is fast, accurate and clean but you are limited to your shop for repairs. A torch set can/is portable and when the need arises you can take the torch set out in the field, but requires a little skill to use. I am blessed to have plasma, oxy/propane,propylene and oxy/acetylene so I have the pick for what ever is needed. Our plasma is a Thermal Dynamics 52. I know this is a lot higher that your $600 price point but I have had no problems with this brand and would recommend it. I have never used any Everlast products so I do not know how well they will do for you. I agree with Otto, your consumables should never be a large expense, unless you are not skilled at plasma and foul up the consumables a lot. While the parts themselves are expensive, they should out last your acetylene fills in comparison. We have a few guys I will not allow to use the plasma for the simple fact that they burn through consumables like you would not believe. I know they would get better with practice but when you are the one paying for new tips every time they use it you loose faith rather quickly.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Is this the plasma your looking at purchasing???

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081BF3XE/ref ... D3D1P5U4RT
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Fallon
    Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:49 pm

I think so. I see SuperCut 50P & PowerPlasma 50 at http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... ry-57.html that look like they would fit the bill. Looks like the main difference is blowback vs HF start, of which I'm not familiar with most of the drawbacks or benefits are.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I second superiors comments about portability, you can haul your oxy/ propane set up anywhere on your 5 acres without hassle.

Mick

Fallon wrote: Looks like the main difference is blowback vs HF start, of which I'm not familiar with most of the drawbacks or benefits are.
Anybody have some info on this Hf vs blowback?
Which if better?

~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Most of the plasmas I used are HF - some with HF start some with selectable constant HF - I would look at it the same as a Tig welder - once you've used HF start would you go & buy a lift start machine - initial price is lower but the convenience of starts / restarts make HF the 1st choice - unless things have changed recently the blowback torches must make electrical contact with the workpiece to initiate - so you need clean material - with HF it will usually find a path & initiate even on rust / paint / dirt - if you have selectable constant HF then cutting mesh etc is easy as the torch will stay lit while passing between each wire - I would say buy HF if budget allows - also with the blowback torches the electrode has to move - this creates wear over time & the accuracy of concentricity of the torch parts does affect quality & straightness of cut - if they are all fixed it should maintain better cuts in the long term.

it looks like this one doesn't specify HF or blowback?
Just pilot arc.

noddy???

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

See link below from their own site - it gives a quick overview of the plasma cutters & features including torch type.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... ry-57.html

noddybrian wrote:See link below from their own site - it gives a quick overview of the plasma cutters & features including torch type.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... ry-57.html
thanks noddy.
Anyone have this plasma cutter in my link ?
I'm looking at getting one, any user reviews?
John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024