Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

Are these units nay good? Got an email from Newegg with a sale 50 amp dual voltage model for $425...seems pretty cheap.Any one here ever own one?
Here's some of the specs that I copied from the site:

Lotos Technology LTP5000D IGBT Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter 110/220VAC 1/2" Cut

The Lotos LTP5000D is designed and constructed to withstand extensive use in rugged industrial and construction environments. It is perfect for any home project too. This machine is capable to work in conjunction with a CNC machine. The Lotos LTP5000D is a 50A dual voltage (110/220VAC) Digital IGBT Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter (50A). Using this portable plasma cutter is cheaper than Oxyacetylene after just a few cuts. Less cleaning, less maintenance, less noxious gases, less fire hazard, simply less overall work and a better, cleaner cut. The torch trigger can be moved for a custom fit. It can be used in finger or thumb positions. Torch head is low profile for tight spaces. High Frequency DC Plasma cuts thicker materials than standard DC plasma cutters. High Frequency Plasma cuts faster with less distortion in the work piece.Machine FeaturesTrue Automatic Dual Voltage (110VAC/220VAC) Dual Frequency (50Hz/60Hz) Both Pilot arc start and Contact arc start capable (if the pilot arc start is not required disconnect the pilot arc cable according to the manual)

Specifications:

• Robust Infineon IGBT (By Siemens)
• PAPST cooling system from Germany
• Input Voltage: 110vac ~220vac (Auto detected, no switch is necessary)
• Input Power Frequency: 50 hz / 60 hz (Better performance under 60 hz)
• Insulation Grade: B
• Housing Protection Grade: IP21
• Size: 19'' L x 111'' W x 9'' H
• Weight: 21 lbs (29 lbs with box)
• Certification: CE, CCC, CSA, CES and ISO-9001 certification
• 50A plasma cutting capability
• Double function tested and performance tuned prior to packaging
• Power factor: 0.93
• Power efficiency: 85%
• Plasma Cutting Duty Cycle: 60% at 50 amps and 100% at 35 amps
• Rated Input Current: 27 amps
• 3" Per minute @ 1" Steel (Severance Cut) 7" Per minute @ 3/4" Thick Steel 17" Per minute @ 1/2" Thick Steel Air pressure required: 60~70 psi @ 3.6 cfm
• Accessories: Heavy Duty Industrial Lotos Pilot Arc Plasma cutting torch, Ground cable with clamp. Initial cutting consumable (tip, electrode, shield cup), Air filter and regulator with accessories and brackets, Air hose and clamps, User Manual
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

What sort of warranty do they offer? The specs look reasonable enough. For the price it seems like a decent buy. Also take into consideration what consumables it uses. If they are proprietary, I'd steer clear of it.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid

I'm not sure on the consumables . The warranty is only 1 year, which isn't that great plus I think your pay shipping both ways.
Fly
  • Fly
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

Well that is a great price.I bought one last week & gave $492 with free shipping.It seems
to be a good machine.I have no problems with the way it cuts.They have improved the torch
from early models.The only con,s I have are miner things.

The hose clamps are junk, so go to a auto parts store & get usa made clamps, & Teflon
tape.The fitting leak air & need double Teflon tape & does the air gage.I run mine of 220 volt
& you will need a different wall plug.One year warranty but consumables can be had from E-Bay.

I bought mine because it has Digital IGBT Pilot Arc.I wanted the Everlast cause I think there very
good also.I would have spent the difference of $150 for it but it had no IGBT for that priced machine,
only the much higher priced one.

But is if this one keeps going I,m very happy.I have read many bad reports on many of the china
made machines.But looking at the dates from most bad reports were from 2012 back.

Good luck with yours Fly ;)

Thanks Fly. It would be hard to beat that price..... as long as it holds up. [WHITE SMILING FACE]
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Lotos is going out of business. So don't expect any support/repairs. You would do better with a harbor freight one and their 2 year optional exchange warranty.
pwilson
    Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:21 am

hmmmm.....135 reviews on amazon and still it gets a 4.5 rating out of 5. Just need that first year warranty under your belt, without that....I wouldnt.

soutthpaw wrote:Lotos is going out of business. So don't expect any support/repairs. You would do better with a harbor freight one and their 2 year optional exchange warranty.
Do you have some inside information on this? I didn't see anything on the Web that would indicate they were going out of business. If it's true, I wouldn't want to buy one. Got a link to some articles indicating this, or is it just a hunch? Let me know. Thanks
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

TxBigRed wrote:
soutthpaw wrote:Lotos is going out of business. So don't expect any support/repairs. You would do better with a harbor freight one and their 2 year optional exchange warranty.
Do you have some inside information on this? I didn't see anything on the Web that would indicate they were going out of business. If it's true, I wouldn't want to buy one. Got a link to some articles indicating this, or is it just a hunch? Let me know. Thanks
I do have some inside info. Though I can't disclose source.

OK, thanks for the heads up.
Timmontoya88
    Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:22 am

I realize the time of this thread, however I wanted to give my input on this unit.

I needed a plasma cutter basically for working with gauge metal when I needed to make circle or cuts with twists and turns and warping is a concern. The Lotos Plasma cutter works for me as a starter because shelling out $1000 + for a quality machine would be unrealistic right now, I got mine about a month ago.

For now They seem to still be in business I can find consumables online through Home Depot, eBay, and through the Lotos web sitehttp://www.uwelding.com/
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Just an opinion /observation.
Spend $1,000 and get 2 machine($500 ea),one working ,spare on the shelf(warranty).

Spend $1,00,get one machine($500 up front warranty). Send it in and wait for replacement.

Or spend real money for big name,local dealer, and warranty service at the counter(most of the time).

Choices!
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

I had to save up for a couple months to get my Hypertherm. But, I'm pretty sure I'll never need the warranty and, if I do, it'll be handled at my LWS. I get my consumables at my LWS, and there just isn't much to worry about. I've never regretted the money I've spent on good tools.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch