Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

My new machine (Stahlwerk WIG-200P) came with a PT-31 torch and I want to swap it for a WSD-60 Pilot. It has all the connections to take the WSD-60, but I don't know if the circuit board is there or not.

I bought it as a "sale" package. Maybe they want to make up the difference by making me buy the pilot torch separately?
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1

I found a WSD-60 on ebay. I'll double check the connections and give it a shot.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
freshmelon
    Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:19 am

And did it help you? Is everything ok now?

Sorry about not updating this thread.

I did get it hooked up. the wire guide on the cup keeps it from starting. I had to push down to get the tip close enough for an arc to ignite the air. The same guide might be my issue of it not cutting properly. It wants to gouge instead of cut. I'll have to play with it some more to see if these issues can be worked out...or if the machine and torch aren't compatible. (My machine came with a PT-31 torch.)

Next time I post here, I'll include pictures.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Not sure how easyily you'll find the thread - but a guy on here had a cheap generic 50amp plasma & asked about torches as he was not getting the performance you would expect from the power available - I pointed out the design criteria for PT31 was around 25>30 amps & is marginal even at 40 giving short consumable life - he was going to use a generic SG51 or 60 torch from "Shop River " - I do remember him posting it was a great improvement & got better capacity - if you can find the thread I'm sure he states the torch used & maybe you could private message him about his setup - it maybe your not running the correct pressure for that torch ? it may not use the same as the PT31 - also the Chinese 60 series torch can have 3 different orifice sizes available to match the power output of the machine have you got the correct one ?

The new torch is a WSD-60P. I kept trying to get it to ignite the air as it normally should be done. However, that was easier said than done. I ended up pressing the tip closer to the material and it would start or touching the edge to start it. When it would start, it wasn't cutting the material (16g cold rolled) but gouging it.

I will search for the thread and contact them. I just want a torch that can cut well without having to replace the consumables every month. I'm kinda practical that way.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Sometimes mine will do that a little if I've got a poor ground. On bigger stuff like dirty 1/2". But the machine (Miller Spectrum 875) shuts down after a few seconds of non contact.
I did get it clogged yesterday and replaced some parts, but also cleaned out the orifices with a O/A tip cleaner. I wasn't pushing enough air to cut through the material and the blow back was going all over me and everything else.
noddybrian

There is something very wrong if a 50amp plasma won't cut 1/16" - it should make clean cuts on 5/8" - OK so I'm not a plasma expert but I looked up your unit & it normally ships with an " AG-60 " torch - why anyone would supply the " PT31 " which is marginal at 40amps is beyond me - I looked up the torch you have & while I've not seen one it seems to have an extra connection - I'm assuming it fits a machine that uses constant HF while cutting to maintain ignition - yours I believe does not have that function & uses HF only to initiate the plasma - so I believe you have bought the wrong torch - I have substituted the " AG-60 " on generic " Cut-40 " machines & as long as the nozzle size is correct ( .9mm for 40 amps ) everything worked fine - I think that is what the member used in the thread I recall - I include an Ebay link for what I believe you need to make your machine work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SG-55-AG-60-a ... 1e696a5a0c

I may have to adjust the settings (which is a job in itself due to the lack of an owners manual) to find the right ones for the WSD-60.

This is the one I purchased:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221009510427?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Everything connects just fine, including the ground wire. My machine is HF.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1

A co-worker suggested I adjust my air. I currently have it set at 50psi. He suggested I lower it to 25 and slowly bring it up until I find the sweet spot for the torch.

We've been working 10's here at the rocket factory, but I may get a few minutes to try out the settings tonite.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
shine789
    Thu May 14, 2015 4:07 am

Oh I think I should do the same... Thanks for the advice.
king990
    Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:31 am

Helped me a lot, thank you guys.
ultimate5
    Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:40 am

Very helpful.

Unfortunately, we are still working on a OT schedule and I'm in school (AWS certs) until 9pm. I haven't hade the chance to test the lower psi on my plasma.
But, it is good to see that others may have tried it and it worked for them. Maybe on my day off (after I move into the house I just bought) I'll have a chance to see myself.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

So you DID buy it? The one across from the park?

Congratulations!

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:So you DID buy it? The one across from the park?

Congratulations!

Steve S
No. We found a more fitting one in Hammond. Two sheds in the back yard (one is shop ready). Turn key made it too good to pass up.
Still jumping through hoops for the purchase process.

REALLY tired from it all. School is worth it, though.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
mercado
    Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:39 am

Oh, I'm sorry that you didn't manage to buy it :(

mercado wrote:Oh, I'm sorry that you didn't manage to buy it :(
In the end, it seemed like more than necessary effort to buy (heh, even search for) a house closer to work than a house "right around the corner".

Go figure. :?:
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Chris, the next time gas exceeds $4/gal, you may re-think that logic...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I doubt it, though. In IA, we were on one vehicle a while, and I had my wife driving me to, and getting me from, a 34-mile away job at a peak of $4.629/gallon in a 17MPG truck. That's 8 gallons per day for over $37 per day for gas, and we didn't care. That was less than one hour from my overtime each day to have a loft apartment in Panora, IA, overlooking the town square, next to a nice bar and a decent restaurant, with the library across the square.

Steve S
michael74
    Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:53 am

Gasoline is so expensive these days :/
zamzamzam
    Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:23 am

xenya485
    Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:22 am

In Europe it's not so bad these days. It used to be definitely worse.
nastyy
    Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:23 pm

I live in Louisiana. 25% of all oil the U.S. produces comes from here. Gas is $2.19gal at the pump. That's 2,00Euro or 1,40Pound.

Yeah, I'm OK with that. ;)
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
noddybrian

Reality check from the UK !

Current low octane unleaded is down considerably from earlier in the year at approx £5.21 per gallon ( $8.14 ) down from approx £6.35 per gallon ( $9.91 ).

You don't see many big blocks ! well actually you don't see many V8s - mostly nasty underpowered 4pot diesels - I still got a 460 powered F350 but sadly not used it in years - can't see a reality when I will either - the powers that be really hit the motorist hard here.