Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

I have a torch, and I'm wondering if anyone has any information about it. It is a MECO, made in St. Louis by the Modern Engineering Company. It has a serial number. It was my grandfather's torch. I can't find anything except a micro torch that they currently make. This thing looks to have been well-used. Seems to be a quality tool. Does anyone know where I can find tips for it? Or any information on the company? I would like to know something about the torch and its makers. It says "weldmaster" down the side of it.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

johnnyg
    Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

That was a brand VICTOR bought years ago. If you can still read numbers on the torch, call VICTOR support and they should be able to help.

Let us know how it turns out.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

johnnyg wrote:That was a brand VICTOR bought years ago. If you can still read numbers on the torch, call VICTOR support and they should be able to help.

Let us know how it turns out.
Cool! I actually work next to a victor facility in Denton, TX that I'm told has a company showroom. I will have to leave early for work one day and see if they can tell me anything 8-)
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
bobby-c
    Fri May 29, 2015 3:31 am

From what I have been able to find, Modern Engineering Co (MECO) was one of the top gas welding and cutting equipment manufacturers. Sadly they ran into troubles and were bought by Victor. The entire MECO line (Weldmaster, Aviator, Aviator Jet, Cutmaster, etc.) that was in competition with Victor's torches was killed off (many say the better torch lost). The few survivors from MECO were the Midget torch and "O" and "P" type regulators. I believe Victor still supports the midget and regulators, but everything else was abandoned. Parts are still available - scattered - but still available. Most MECO regulators and torches are rebuild-able and worth the investment even today (IMO). About half of the welding / brazing tips are still available (odd # sizes) from Goss. Original MECO tips are still available from time to time on local classified and online auction sites (as well as mixer handles, and parts etc). The MECO tips for Weldmaster are marked WG-#.

The Weldmaster I use almost daily was my grandfather's as well. I believe it is WWII era, and it is my main torch. I use it primarily for welding, but also for cutting steel too thick for the plasma cutter. I'm sure it will not last forever, but I find myself seeking out the older used MECO torches over new ones. It could just be me, but they have a better feel, balance and quality about them.