Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
jyblood2
    Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Up to now I have used a victor set, with GPN tips, but it walked away :evil: . I had an opportunity to use an injector mixer torch once ( a Harris, but not sure of model ) and thought it was significantly easier to set. So I am thinking of a Harris 62-5AFL with 6290NFF cutting tips and 6290GG gouging tips. On the other hand, I have been burnt on one-off evaluations before. Even though I probably will be OK with any of the major brands, any first hand thoughts/experiences will be welcome.

Thx's, Fred.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Fred,
I've done quite a bit of cutting with a 62 Harris torch, mostly scrap, but I regard them as the best torch money can buy. I've also used quite a few Victor straight head torches as well as 90* head ones and they're fine, just not as nice as the Harris in my book. I currently own a 62 Harris and a small Smith and like them both.

That's just my opinion for what it's worth.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
jyblood2
    Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:11 pm

I got a Harris 62-5FL torch and am running it on propane/oxygen. It seems to run fine when connected straight to the hoses, but I have 1 question and 1 problem:

What is the easiest way to adjust for a neutral flame on propane? Acetylene is easy and well defined, propane has always been a bit of an trail and error for me.

and

Are these injector torches compatible with quick connects? When I put quick connects on mine, it does not function ( draw fuel ). I wondering that, it being an injector torch, if the torch can not draw fuel through the pressure loss of the quick connect/check valve? I am using Koike WZO Sentinel Safety-Z couplings. I am currently using my old set, and will try a new set when I can get down to the LWS, but any advice would help.

Thx's, Fred.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Fred,
Propane's flame is always going to be less defined than Acetylene no matter what torch you use, just the nature of the beast. That's the trade off for the cost savings of using propane.

As to your question of quick couplers, I've never used them so I don't have an answer, sorry.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I've used use oxy/propane for about 20 years now.
This guy demonstrates lighting and adjustment about as good as I've seen recently - about minute 6:00

http://youtu.be/f2amO0T3vkQ

The "star pattern" during adjustment is something many people have not heard about.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It's very difficult to see the flame in sunlight.