It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 11:30 am Advanced search

I made a 3 part video about angle grinders

Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Re: I made a 3 part video about angle grinders

Postby Otto Nobedder » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:22 am

UV Metal Arts wrote:interesting, does that mean no thumb switches in those situations too?

Yep. Our grinders must stop if we let go. Triggers or paddle switches. I've worked several jobs that were like that.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Antorcha » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
UV Metal Arts wrote:interesting, does that mean no thumb switches in those situations too?

Yep. Our grinders must stop if we let go. Triggers or paddle switches. I've worked several jobs that were like that.

Steve S

I'd find another job. Aint no way I'm grinding all day with a P.O.S. paddle. ESPECIALLY if the nanny lock has been left intact.
The trigger on a rat tail is fine. My 5020 is a favorite piece.Major control.
Most of the time i use a Bosch Slim, one handed.Runnin a paddle one handed is goofy......unless she's bent over beside the Jacuzzi :mrgreen: :ugeek: :lol:
Antorcha
Ace

Postby Antorcha » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:13 pm

When I responded on Boob T00B I said I'd post the moddifuckated grinding cutting bib from Carharrt and, this idiot posting it. :lol:
Isn't hard to see what I did once you purchase the bibs.Baddest hot weather apron on the planet. :D
The belts position ansd stitching keeps the stiff canvas protecting the sides of the legs.I re-did that a couple times to get it to work.
Antorcha
Ace

Postby subwayrocket » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:06 am

Antorcha wrote:When I responded on Boob T00B I said I'd post the moddifuckated grinding cutting bib from Carharrt and, this idiot posting it. :lol:
Isn't hard to see what I did once you purchase the bibs.Baddest hot weather apron on the planet. :D
The belts position ansd stitching keeps the stiff canvas protecting the sides of the legs.I re-did that a couple times to get it to work.

Awesome job on the apron . I have that same bib, use it for snow riding on the dirt bike, its a tough bib...never thought to re-purpose it like that. I have had to repair a few rips over the years on it, I've had good luck sewing it up with Kevlar fishing line as thread, then applying Loctite GO2 glue over the repair... holds up really well.
Great video's on the angle grinders, watched all 3 of them, thanks for posting !
subwayrocket
Ace

Postby dfarning » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:48 pm

Another vote in support of your videos.

For some reason, my local technical college decided that all industrial classes would require full time enrolment. That makes it kind of hard for someone like me who wants to attend a class or two to improve a skill or learn something new.

These videos are invaluable learning tools.

David
dfarning

Postby BLURAT » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:26 pm

UV,

Awesome information there ! I thank you. You are certainly correct on the DeWalts. I have one at my workplace and it's about 12 years old. The other day our young whipper snapper of Deckhand found me and said it's shorted out and won't work.
I took it apart and found the factory original connector terminals from the main cord had just worn down over the years (these things have TONS of hours grinding rust for paint repair and metal prep) so I removed the originals and crimped on some new ring connectors...she fired right up !

Another personal tip: I will regularly take our pinpoint air nozzle (with a reasonable psi) and blow the vents and exhaust ports out. This keeps accumulated rust and metal dust from gumming things up and they seem to breath easier;like an air filter on an engine.

Thanks for your videos - Shawn
BLURAT

Postby bearston » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:02 pm

Nice work on your vids, UV. You hit the nail on the head when you nailed your head with that grinder. I was once wearing a loose t-shirt while using a wire wheel which of course, caught the flapping-in-the-wind shirt and tore to shreds not only my shirt, but my belly as well. All is good now and I learned that suffering for your art doesn't need to be painful. Some lessons I learned? For wire wheels, I use only the knotted cup style, when I do use one, as it's a little bit safer and throws fewer projectiles, loose clothing, NYET! Porcupine legs and forearms are the norm with wire wheels, so I avoid them. Don't forget the face shield when using ANY wire wheel,but at a minimum safety glasses; better yet, eliminate them from your repertoire, you will find other ways to do the same thing with things like flap wheels, etc.
Although you only touched on it in this series, I think that you understand the value of a neat workplace. I will stop work just to sweep and put away tools every once in a while, wipe off the welding table, collecting cords and other trip hazards. Makes the day that much better when you're not always working in filth and your work lays flat on the table...imagine that, improved fit-up. As you know from your many years experience in a metal shop, safety is on-going and proactive. Tripping in the messy metal shop could easily cost you teeth, an eye or even another hole like the collection in my head!!
Keep up the good work, you put a lot of consideration into the subject and supply good information that not only applies to newbies, but those more experienced like me, who forget about best practices when the clock pressure grows. A reminder or tune-up on safety is always timely, cheers! :D
bearston

Postby motox » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:49 am

great videos.
something there for everyone!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox
Weldmonger

Postby Lightning » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:50 pm

Good videos, thanks for posting. I also had a grinder with a wire wheel eat my tee shirt...it stopped just below my chin. :o
Lightning

Postby Saz » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:24 pm

Great videos! I was hoping to see something in there with Metabo tools, but there wasnt. Oh well, still a very good series.
Lincoln MP210
Lincoln SW200
Saz

PreviousNext

Return to Metal Cutting