Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

As the title says, can anyone mention any particular items to watch out for beyond the relatively obvious clean, dry air and making sure that there is a gap under the item to be cut?

I fell into a new in box Miller spectrum 375 extreme for a song from another military member in my area, and haven't used plasma since one time back in 1994 or so.

I don't mind learning hands on, but don't like enriching the LWS buying consumables unnecessarily!

(Also, is there any particular driving need to pay Miller prices for a wheeled guide spacer, versus using the drag tip that comes with the stock torch?)
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

My tip is to wear a respirator - plasmas are nasty things. Wheeled guide spacer - not really necessary - could make life a little easier I guess.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
hey_allen

Actually, I hadn't thought about the fact that plasma cutting would be blowing all sorts of crud about...
I've been using an organics/welding rated mask for welding, but hadn't thought about the need when doing plasma cutting.
-Josh
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Another tip - keep 3-4 sets of consumables on hand because when you need your plasma the most it will have a screwed up tip, nozzle or shield or all of them.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I do not have a plasma machine (altho i'd like to) but i've read that D-R-Y compressed air makes a lot of difference.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Make sure the setting correct for you thickness of metal. Don't overpower the metal!
Hex173t
    Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:16 pm

What a timely thread. I also have never used a plasma machine, and my first machine is out for delivery right now, I expect to unbox it tonight. I'll be eagerly waiting for some great plasma tips on this thread.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hex173t wrote:What a timely thread. I also have never used a plasma machine, and my first machine is out for delivery right now, I expect to unbox it tonight. I'll be eagerly waiting for some great plasma tips on this thread.
The thing that amazed me about plas, when I first did it, was that it really, really is no big deal. I mean, I love my plasma, and everyone should have at least one! Also, someone on this thread very wisely posted about having spare parts! VERY important to have spare parts! LOL! It only took me three or four times to learn that lesson, which means I learned it quickly!

Anyway, you will have fun with it. It is amazing the detail you can get with a properly set machine. Enjoy!
hey_allen

Thanks to all who chimed in with advice and tips on plasma cutting.

I wanted to mention that after poking around looking for an affordable source on an air dryer, I found one vendor apparently blowing out inventory of MotorGuard M-45 kits (M-30 filter and two replacement elements).
I have no idea why, but they are selling them at 98% off of MSRP, $2.76 each. Whether they show up or not, I'll find out in a week or so... (I'll report what I find out, hopefully not to say that I was taken for the ~$20 of the pair + shipping.)
http://www.finditparts.com/products/448 ... uard-00241

No affiliation other than having *hopefully* bought a couple air dryers at a bargain price.

Hope this helps any others that might be in need of an air filter/dryer!
-Josh