Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
HeavyOil
    Wed May 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Well Bill, it's not a single somebody. It's about 30-40 somebodys and about 40,000 mhrs and there is definitely a big difference in the amount of repair required based upon the welder doing the work but I can't control who the yard is putting on what project.

Steve, I've thought about some sort of machining, like horizontal milling sounds great but i had assumed the time and cost would be too great. I don't really know the first thing about machining, except that there are companies that do field machining and they charge A LOT.

If you could send a link to those blades you were just talking about I would like to see that. Any machine can be made it takes enough need to make it profitable.

Thanks,
Garry
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Bug o systems and Gullco systems make magnetic track attachments for cutters and gouges. They are high end machines.

Mick
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

plain ol Bill wrote:If you are having that much rework take that gouge away from the guy and beat his butt with it. That is NOT acceptable and you need to find someone that know's what they are doing.

I would not have put it that way ... but that is what I would have meant!
Gary
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Have to say the few times I break out the air-arc is because I want minimum collateral damage - would'nt call it surgical but it's the best option I have & I get pretty good results - if the operators are that bad using it I have to question would they be any better with different equipment? if said is equipment is very expensive or needs skill to setup & use I don't think the results will be any better - seems like they need specific training for gouging if they are just general welders & have not used it enough to be proficient - but based on the number of hours I should have thought they would pick it up fairly fast - I do think an oxy fuel cranked torch on a track cutter would work quite well except that it would normally require acetylene - not seen one for propane which would escalate the costs - bottom line seems to be getting good staff - dare I ask if this is a union job ?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

HeavyOil wrote: Steve, I've thought about some sort of machining, like horizontal milling sounds great but i had assumed the time and cost would be too great. I don't really know the first thing about machining, except that there are companies that do field machining and they charge A LOT.

If you could send a link to those blades you were just talking about I would like to see that. Any machine can be made it takes enough need to make it profitable.

Thanks,
Garry
Here's a very approximate example, and I'll keep digging for what I actually meant.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=car ... ajaxhist=0

Steve S

Garry, this would cut a lap-weld beautifully, if it can be held and directed on the intended path.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=car ... ajaxhist=0

Steve S
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Garry I understand your quandary. Been on many of the jobs that require 6" heavy wall pipe for hand rails. Economics considered a gouge is still your most economical and efficient method IMO. Will machining accomplish the task - sure, just be prepared for the expense.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.

I'm visualizing a device -- don't know if it's commercially available or not, but a competent machine shop could build it -- that's basically 2 mag drill bases connected by a couple guide bars, and a hand cranked or power feed screw. A carriage on the bars/screw carries a drive motor and a slitting saw as Steve posted. With the right arbor, this gadget could get within a 1/4" or less of the deck and slice the upright plate off "slicker than scum off a Louisiana swamp" (to quote CW McCall).
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch

The sign said, "clearance to the twelve-foot line", but them chickens was stacked to 13-9.
We shot that tunnel at a hundred and ten, like gas through a funnel or eggs through a hen...
Took that top row of chickens off, slicker than the scum off a Louisiana swamp...

Wolf Creek Pass.

Steve S
BLURAT
    Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:35 am

Have you looked at the JetEdge mobile water jet cutting system. I found them online. It sounds right up your alley. The machine has to be cheaper than paying day wages on 30-40 people, plus all of the related cleanup and damage control.
We have had carbon arc done at my place of employment on 2 of our tractor tugboats in the last 4 years (while in a major west coast drydock). The men I saw doing the work were extremely skilled and the collateral damage was extreme (burned paint and the slag everywhere) and they did an admirable job of trying to protect the non affected work zone.

The websight specifically mentions that the system is optimal for large flat decks, tanks, hazmat enviornments, energy pipelines, etc. They have tracked systems for custom applications and can run on diesel generators, as I recall.

Shawn