Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
jack_of_all
    Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:32 pm

I find that I don't fire up the Oxy-Acetylene rig very often now that I have Plasma and TIG. I only use it for cutting thick metals and welding thin metals that will need a lot of forming.

Other than the normal safety start-up and storage procedures, are there things to consider when an Oxy-fuel rig sits idle for months at a time between use? I'm sure hoses need to be inspected. How about the tank, gas, regulator, torch......? The gases can't 'go bad' can they?
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I worked at a LWS for a few years, and never heard of gas going bad or stale. Over a long period of time hoses can dry rot; diaphragms in regulators and o-rings in torch valves can dry out and leak. But that's a long time out. Seems like you"re more likely to find you have a slow leak in a cylinder valve, when you go to turn on the gas and there's no pressure in the cylinder.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:27 am

Thanks Artie for sharing a response from a professional perspective having worked at LWS for a few years. I also think that with the correct storage procedures, you should not face much problems as gas does not “go bad” to my knowledge. Nevertheless, I do think that eventually if left abandoned it will escape and be empty.