Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Any one use a version of the cut 50 that's all over eBay?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Yep.
I have managed decent cuts on 1/2 inch steel and that is about the limit with it.
Bare in mind mine is also 240v.
But it was all that was available here at the time under $600.
Most of my cutting is less than 3/8 so its adequate.
Would love a hypotherm but I like having 2 testicals.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Although they look all the same some are better than others - the cheapest often coming with the PT31 torch which will only achieve 1/2" cut no matter how many amps it sees & 50amps is way too much - if you buy one check what torch is supplied or if the deal is good enough replace it with a more suitable one from " Shop River " - you should manage 3/4" with steady slow travel - there is a thread on here somewhere discussing this & the OP did change torch with much better results - the Cut 40 & 50 are very basic units but quite reliable & at slightly under £200 on Ebay (40) I would still rate them highly for non production work - consumables don't last long but are cheap & very easy to get - only real downside they don't have pilot arc - if you have slightly more money available the newer Chinese designs have come on along way & are still great value - the 50amp Rtech unit which I assume is a repainted Everlast looks good & has pilot arc - ultimately depends on how much you can justify & intended use - just for hobby stuff on a budget they are a good first plasma.
Poland308

Thanks I did read through about the torch issue. Was just curious about tha machines themselves.

Josh
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Generally pretty reliable & good duty cycle - I have a several year old Cut40 which I only got for portability to take out on site & it will run on available power sockets - been heavily used & still going strong - only time it acted up I lent it to a mate who said he wanted to cut some 1/4" sheet - turned out he cable tied the torch to an old " pug " track cutter & he was slicing 8foot sheets length ways into 6" strips for something - I got it back with a very fried torch but no other problems - he ran it without stopping except to move the track over ! had it up on 40amps the entire time - put another cheap " Shop River " torch on & it's been fine ever since - probably should have moved up a torch but I had plenty of consumables in stock so kept with a PT31 - I'm intrigued to see if a better torch would give more cut though - the 50amp is visually the same & shares quite alot of components - know a few people with them & no problems except for a dual voltage model - but anytime you mess around with that sort of amp draw on 110volt it's asking for trouble so obviously leave them alone.
Poland308

Good to know I'll just put the same 220 plug on it my welder has so I can use it in the shop or off my generator.

Josh
ex framie

One other thing, DRY air is a must regardless of the cost of your plasma cutter.
When you buy your compressor get a water trap/dryer and plumb that in after the regulator/trap fitted to the compressor.
Drain them all before you use the air,( compressor, regualtor and trap) or if you run it everyday, drain them every day.
Wet air does some funky things as I have found out here in the subtropics.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

They work for a little while, but the HF goes out in a short amount of time, then you chuck it.

Yes I've owned one.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I owned one too. Chucked it as well. Not buying cheap bottom of the barrel junk anymore.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308

Mine just showed up today cot the cut 50 220 volt only with the heavier duty gun. Just test fired it on some 1/4 in steel. Ok for now. I just need it to last out for a year or so then I'll pony up for the real deal.

Josh
ex framie

Josh,
If its going to get a fair bit of use, get onto river weld shop http://riverweldstore.com/ and pick up some consumables for it, you'll always seem to trash a nozzle at the wrong time and spares are good to have on hand and are cheap.
Are you going to do a review on it? No so subtle hint.... :twisted:
Pete

Poland308

Literally just ordered them 5 min ago. :D

Josh
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

If it does quit and need repair, contact George, he is a good honest guy and can help you determine if it's worth fixing
http://www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com/
You can mention I recommended him to ya.
Poland308

Thanks I'll save the link

Josh