Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm at the point where I think I'd like a plasma cutter (which also means I'm looking at air compressors/tanks too!). Maximum thickness would probably be 1/4" plate, minimum thickness would probably be 16 gauge sheet metal. And I think the majority of things that I'm cutting will be small in size.

So Here's what I think I would normally be using the plasma cutter for:

* Cutting steel brackets and other small shapes out of 1/4" plate to be bent in a press and/or welded together.

* Cutting off or trimming brackets, bumpers, mounts, and parts that are currently on a vehicle, axle housing, frame, or whatever outside in the driveway. Maximum thickness is again probably 1/4" steel.

* I do have 220 power in the garage, but I think I would like to keep it 110, so that if I ever need to bring it somewhere. Either 110, or a dual voltage that can be used on either.

* not a daily used tool, it would be for weekend home garage/hobby work only, and probably not even every weekend.

Any suggestions? Also, I've never actually used a plasma cutter before. I was hoping that I could re-purpose my argon bottle to be used with the plasma cutter. I don't TIG weld very often, so I wouldn't mind using that bottle to cut with, and then switch the bottle back to the TIG machine when I want to TIG. I mostly MIG weld.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I never used one myself but everything I hear about them makes me say Hypertherm PowerMax 30XP - it's a great looking bit of kit - small - light - dual voltage & I believe very good consumable life - don't know if the budget will run to it though ! Lanse has several video's about them.

Not sure what your saying about the argon bottle - plasma cutter needs just air - not inert gas like old ones - the O2 in compressed air aids in cutting steel - if you want to use bottled gas instead of air your only real choice is nitrogen but even that is way expensive for home use - only justified for cut quality on aluminum or stainless.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

When I bought my TIG, my funds were limited and my choice ran to two machines - both TIG and stick combos, but one also featuring a 50 amp plasma.

I was speaking to my welder guy about how I really wanted the plasma but couldn't stretch to the machine with plasma...and he sold it to me for the price of the lower spec machine! SO glad I went that way.

Had never used plasma before.

I run 240 volt power. The inbuilt plasma on my TIG is a 50 amp unit running a very common 60 series torch with pilot arc start. You can take that as 'point and shoot!' The consumables are cheap and seem to be everywhere online.

I run it all off a $99, 2 horsepower compressor. Compressors are so useful (tyres, etc) that getting one is a no brainier. You can't use bottled air, so get a comp.

The plasma is awesome and easy to set up and use. Mine will cleanly cut 16mm steel and goes through thin plate like butter with a nice, neat jet. I use it for making up brackets and small parts. I often make up a part template in thin MDF and just trace around it with the plasma, then tidy up with a grinder or flap disc. I don't do really heavy duty work at all.

I would never be without my plasma now. What used to take me forever with jigsaws, cutting discs, grinders and files is now so easy, especially curved shapes.

I will say this - put plenty of thought into where you will do your cutting. Safety first. Without effective safety backing, a plasma will scorch, erode, splatter, slice or generally mess up whatever is behind the cut. And a lot of the things you can place your material on for cutting...it will cut through!

Hope this helps. Go for it - so useful, so much fun.

Kym
danielbuck

noddybrian wrote:I never used one myself but everything I hear about them makes me say Hypertherm PowerMax 30XP - it's a great looking bit of kit - small - light - dual voltage & I believe very good consumable life - don't know if the budget will run to it though ! Lanse has several video's about them.

Not sure what your saying about the argon bottle - plasma cutter needs just air - not inert gas like old ones - the O2 in compressed air aids in cutting steel - if you want to use bottled gas instead of air your only real choice is nitrogen but even that is way expensive for home use - only justified for cut quality on aluminum or stainless.

Ahh, I thought they required both compressed air AND some sort of inert gas. I guess I had better do more research! That's good though, that it only needs compressed air from a compressor. That will make things simpler.

MosquitoMoto wrote:When I bought my TIG, my funds were limited and my choice ran to two machines - both TIG and stick combos, but one also featuring a 50 amp plasma.

I was speaking to my welder guy about how I really wanted the plasma but couldn't stretch to the machine with plasma...and he sold it to me for the price of the lower spec machine! SO glad I went that way.

Had never used plasma before.

I run 240 volt power. The inbuilt plasma on my TIG is a 50 amp unit running a very common 60 series torch with pilot arc start. You can take that as 'point and shoot!' The consumables are cheap and seem to be everywhere online.

I run it all off a $99, 2 horsepower compressor. Compressors are so useful (tyres, etc) that getting one is a no brainier. You can't use bottled air, so get a comp.

The plasma is awesome and easy to set up and use. Mine will cleanly cut 16mm steel and goes through thin plate like butter with a nice, neat jet. I use it for making up brackets and small parts. I often make up a part template in thin MDF and just trace around it with the plasma, then tidy up with a grinder or flap disc. I don't do really heavy duty work at all.

I would never be without my plasma now. What used to take me forever with jigsaws, cutting discs, grinders and files is now so easy, especially curved shapes.

I will say this - put plenty of thought into where you will do your cutting. Safety first. Without effective safety backing, a plasma will scorch, erode, splatter, slice or generally mess up whatever is behind the cut. And a lot of the things you can place your material on for cutting...it will cut through!

Hope this helps. Go for it - so useful, so much fun.

Kym
Thanks for the tips!
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Daniel,
I posted this on the other plasma post as well and its worth repeating here;

One other thing, DRY air is a must regardless of the cost of your plasma cutter.
When you buy your compressor get a water trap/dryer and plumb that in after the regulator/trap fitted to the compressor.
Drain them all before you use the air,( compressor, regualtor and trap) or if you run it everyday, drain them every day.
Wet air does some funky things as I have found out here in the subtropics.

Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
danielbuck

ex framie wrote:Daniel,
I posted this on the other plasma post as well and its worth repeating here;

One other thing, DRY air is a must regardless of the cost of your plasma cutter.
When you buy your compressor get a water trap/dryer and plumb that in after the regulator/trap fitted to the compressor.
Drain them all before you use the air,( compressor, regualtor and trap) or if you run it everyday, drain them every day.
Wet air does some funky things as I have found out here in the subtropics.

Cheers
Thanks! Always appreciate the knowledge and insight shared here :)
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

The Hypertherm 30xp is a great choice or their new 30air with built in compressor. Also for what u are doing, ESAB, thermal dynamics, Lincoln or Miller will work well too. I would avoid combo units like the plague. Just covered why in another thread a couple minutes ago. If you watch for the Zoro 30% off deals. You can get a good deal. Weld fabulous, cyberweld, IOC etc gave great prices and specials too... a reputable brand used machine is a good choice. That's how I got my ESAB and have over a decade of trouble free use from it.
Don't think you can cut with argon. Usually done with nitrogen for plasma cutting. Rated output of the compressor and tank size will limit how long you can cut before having to wait for compressor to refill.
Typed on tablet using Swype. Pls excuse Swypo's(Typo's)
airrj
    Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:31 am

Daniel,

I can recommend the Hobart ArcForce 500i. I have had this unit for a year now in a setting that sounds similar to yours with very good results. This is the only unit that I have ever used, so I cannot give you comparisons to the Hyperthem or others while obviously get very good comments. I went with the 500 over the 250 because it does not have the built in air compressor and the additional capacity that the 500 has. I have always been disappointed with small air compressors over the years with failures (although I have never used the Hobart) and I have access to shop air or portable air if I need to use the unit in the field. The 500 is dual voltage 110/220 and the rated cutting thickness is the same for either 110 or 220 the only thing that changes is the duty cycle.

My normal usage is light fabrication, 11 gauge most common, and automotive; however I have found on occasion that I have needed to cut some 3/8" to fix a neighbors tractor bucket or something like that. I am not a day in and day out user of it like many shops are, but for the hobbyist/small shop, I have been very happy with the unit.

Good luck with whatever you get.

R.J.
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Just a few points about small plasma cutters as used for home hobby use......from my 38 years experience with plasma cutters from 20 amps to 1000 Amps!

- While we are talking about modern, portable air plasma cutters....there are many varieties of industrial plasma cutters that can use a variety of gases to do a better job metalurgically and productivity and accuracy-wise. Many of these do use dual gasses......such as oxygen as the plasma gas and air as the shield gas (best cut quality on steel, liquid cooled torches only), argon/hydrogen (premixed) plasma gas and nitrogen shield gas (best cut on stainless over 1/4" thick)...liquid cooled torches only. And I could go on... Air plasma systems are the lowest cost, most portable systems, ideal for hand cutting and many mechanized cutting applications.

-Air is a good cutting gas for steel, stainless and aluminum. It is low cost (compressor), and the (approx.)20% oxygen content provides an exothermic reaction on steel that produces decent cut speeds and cut quality, assuming the plasma torch is of a modern design. Not all of them are.

- Air compressors when used in humid climates,,,,can increase the ratio of moisture to air in the pressurized lines. With many plasma torches increased moisture content in the air that is used to create the plasma jet will cause rapid consumable parts wear (electrodes and nozzles, often called "tips"). This is not true with all plasma torches...as some torch designs can tolerate increased moisture. Regardless, as with any air tool....draining the compressor tank often and installing moisture traps are always good.

- There are industrial plasma cutters and there are extremely low cost import plasma cutters. Just like there are differences in every product from brand to brand, price to price. If you plan to use a plasma cutter occasionally for hobby use...then some of the low cost imports may be just fine for your needs. If you are one that likes quality tools that your kids will inherit....then the industrial brands (and prices) may be the choice for you. One thing is for certain, the higher priced industrial plasma's cut better, have more power, are more reliable, and cost less to use as the consumable parts in the torch last many times longer as compared to the low cost systems. So...if you rarely use it....you won't use many consumables anyway. If you use the plasma often...the consumable savings with an industrial quality system will more than make up for the additional cost at purchase time!

- The good plasma systems have a detailed operator manual (often over 100 pages) that will provide pages of cut charts (speeds, techniques, capacities and more). The operators manual als will have detailed troubleshooting, consumable inspection procedures and detailed maintenance and parts lists......and phone numbers to contact the manufacturer for assistance. The low cost imports have poorly translated manuals with little usefull information, and generally no mention of the actual manufacturer.

There are a lot of choices, plasma cutters are not all created equal. the technology in some of the industrial major brands is 20 or more years ahead of the low cost imports from both the torch and power supply design and performance perspective. Maybe the low cost units will fit your needs, maybe the industrial grade units will be a better choice..

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I've had a Thermal Dynamics for about 13 years now at home, it has been great, Cutmaster 38 off the top of my head. I was introduced to Hypertherm at a welding cert class and after using it talked my employer into a Hypertherm 65.

Excellent unit, top of the line technology, easy to use, haven't had to wait on consumables and is very reliable used about 5 days a week.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

If you absolutely must have 120/240 then Everlast may be an inexpensive "entry level" MOSFET choice. Not the best, but good enough for occasional garage / farm use.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... percut-50p
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

For hobby type stuff, I had gotten an east wood versacut40 around 4 years ago. Wouldn't turn on after about a year, but the new replacement they sent me has been working good to this day. It will do 1/2" steel very slowly if you give it enough air. Obviously a hypertherm is the way to go, but sometimes for hobbyist/occassional use $1000+ plasma cutter isn't always in the lineup.
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

danielbuck wrote:I'm at the point where I think I'd like a plasma cutter (which also means I'm looking at air compressors/tanks too!). Maximum thickness would probably be 1/4" plate, minimum thickness would probably be 16 gauge sheet metal. And I think the majority of things that I'm cutting will be small in size.

So Here's what I think I would normally be using the plasma cutter for:

* Cutting steel brackets and other small shapes out of 1/4" plate to be bent in a press and/or welded together.

* Cutting off or trimming brackets, bumpers, mounts, and parts that are currently on a vehicle, axle housing, frame, or whatever outside in the driveway. Maximum thickness is again probably 1/4" steel.

* I do have 220 power in the garage, but I think I would like to keep it 110, so that if I ever need to bring it somewhere. Either 110, or a dual voltage that can be used on either.

* not a daily used tool, it would be for weekend home garage/hobby work only, and probably not even every weekend.

Any suggestions? Also, I've never actually used a plasma cutter before. I was hoping that I could re-purpose my argon bottle to be used with the plasma cutter. I don't TIG weld very often, so I wouldn't mind using that bottle to cut with, and then switch the bottle back to the TIG machine when I want to TIG. I mostly MIG weld.
I would go with the Hypertherm XP 30. I don't know about the new XP model with a built in compressor-but I have the PM 30. It works great! I run it from my compressor through a moisture/dust filter. Cuts anything I need to cut. Hypertherm is the top of the line for plasma cutters!

Hope this helps! Miller for welders-Hypertherm for plasma cutters! Buy quality!!!
soutthpaw

Everybody thinks they need a plasma, but if you are only doing mild steel cutting, an Oxy Acetylene torch is usually more versatile and cheaper. Often found used for a couple hundred bucks with tanks included. Also they don't need compressed air or electricity and you can heat and weld with them
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I just bought a plasma cutter 350$ China import. But I use my Oxy set for lots. I only plan on using plasma on aluminum and SS. I recently replaced the small torch set on my work truck. Tanks regulators hoses 3 weld 000 001 002 a small rose bud/ multi flame and a cutting head for less than 300$
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Southpaw,
There are good reasons for both processes.
Over here the killer is bottle monthly rental x2 and refill costs, then theres the cost of the oxy set. Buying oxygen and acetylene bottles over here isnt possible atm for some reason, argon no problems.
With a plasma, theres the unit with cheap consumables a compressor, power and no ongoing expense.
My oxy set has been in the drawer for 20 years due to the expense of bottles vs the amount of use it was getting.
For the home welder a plasma makes sense, for the professional I hazard a guess they will have both.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

We're spoiled here there's no less than 7 LWS in town here. I forget how hard it can be to get tanks till I'm 150 miles away.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
soutthpaw

ex framie wrote:Southpaw,
There are good reasons for both processes.
Over here the killer is bottle monthly rental x2 and refill costs, then theres the cost of the oxy set. Buying oxygen and acetylene bottles over here isnt possible atm for some reason, argon no problems.
With a plasma, theres the unit with cheap consumables a compressor, power and no ongoing expense.
My oxy set has been in the drawer for 20 years due to the expense of bottles vs the amount of use it was getting.
For the home welder a plasma makes sense, for the professional I hazard a guess they will have both.
Cool, didn't know that about Oz for bottles. The 30air from Hypertherm would be great for what you want. Not cheap, but buy once, cry once. Very happy with my ESAB had it a decade and bought it used. Consumable life is not great but tips are 50 cents a piece on eBay from China
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I do hand cut metal art with plasma and I am running an Everlast Power Plasma 50 and love it. I cut stuff from 22 gauge to 1/2" no problem. It is dual voltage and cost $800ish (had it for a couple years haven't priced it lately) I use it every day without problems. Great machine!
Attachments
3/16" wall fire pit
3/16" wall fire pit
image.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Fire ring out of 14 gauge
Fire ring out of 14 gauge
image.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt