Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

If you absolutely must have 120/240 then Everlast may be an inexpensive "entry level" MOSFET choice. Not the best, but good enough for occasional garage / farm use.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/produ ... percut-50p
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

For hobby type stuff, I had gotten an east wood versacut40 around 4 years ago. Wouldn't turn on after about a year, but the new replacement they sent me has been working good to this day. It will do 1/2" steel very slowly if you give it enough air. Obviously a hypertherm is the way to go, but sometimes for hobbyist/occassional use $1000+ plasma cutter isn't always in the lineup.
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

danielbuck wrote:I'm at the point where I think I'd like a plasma cutter (which also means I'm looking at air compressors/tanks too!). Maximum thickness would probably be 1/4" plate, minimum thickness would probably be 16 gauge sheet metal. And I think the majority of things that I'm cutting will be small in size.

So Here's what I think I would normally be using the plasma cutter for:

* Cutting steel brackets and other small shapes out of 1/4" plate to be bent in a press and/or welded together.

* Cutting off or trimming brackets, bumpers, mounts, and parts that are currently on a vehicle, axle housing, frame, or whatever outside in the driveway. Maximum thickness is again probably 1/4" steel.

* I do have 220 power in the garage, but I think I would like to keep it 110, so that if I ever need to bring it somewhere. Either 110, or a dual voltage that can be used on either.

* not a daily used tool, it would be for weekend home garage/hobby work only, and probably not even every weekend.

Any suggestions? Also, I've never actually used a plasma cutter before. I was hoping that I could re-purpose my argon bottle to be used with the plasma cutter. I don't TIG weld very often, so I wouldn't mind using that bottle to cut with, and then switch the bottle back to the TIG machine when I want to TIG. I mostly MIG weld.
I would go with the Hypertherm XP 30. I don't know about the new XP model with a built in compressor-but I have the PM 30. It works great! I run it from my compressor through a moisture/dust filter. Cuts anything I need to cut. Hypertherm is the top of the line for plasma cutters!

Hope this helps! Miller for welders-Hypertherm for plasma cutters! Buy quality!!!
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Everybody thinks they need a plasma, but if you are only doing mild steel cutting, an Oxy Acetylene torch is usually more versatile and cheaper. Often found used for a couple hundred bucks with tanks included. Also they don't need compressed air or electricity and you can heat and weld with them
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I just bought a plasma cutter 350$ China import. But I use my Oxy set for lots. I only plan on using plasma on aluminum and SS. I recently replaced the small torch set on my work truck. Tanks regulators hoses 3 weld 000 001 002 a small rose bud/ multi flame and a cutting head for less than 300$
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Southpaw,
There are good reasons for both processes.
Over here the killer is bottle monthly rental x2 and refill costs, then theres the cost of the oxy set. Buying oxygen and acetylene bottles over here isnt possible atm for some reason, argon no problems.
With a plasma, theres the unit with cheap consumables a compressor, power and no ongoing expense.
My oxy set has been in the drawer for 20 years due to the expense of bottles vs the amount of use it was getting.
For the home welder a plasma makes sense, for the professional I hazard a guess they will have both.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

We're spoiled here there's no less than 7 LWS in town here. I forget how hard it can be to get tanks till I'm 150 miles away.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

ex framie wrote:Southpaw,
There are good reasons for both processes.
Over here the killer is bottle monthly rental x2 and refill costs, then theres the cost of the oxy set. Buying oxygen and acetylene bottles over here isnt possible atm for some reason, argon no problems.
With a plasma, theres the unit with cheap consumables a compressor, power and no ongoing expense.
My oxy set has been in the drawer for 20 years due to the expense of bottles vs the amount of use it was getting.
For the home welder a plasma makes sense, for the professional I hazard a guess they will have both.
Cool, didn't know that about Oz for bottles. The 30air from Hypertherm would be great for what you want. Not cheap, but buy once, cry once. Very happy with my ESAB had it a decade and bought it used. Consumable life is not great but tips are 50 cents a piece on eBay from China
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I do hand cut metal art with plasma and I am running an Everlast Power Plasma 50 and love it. I cut stuff from 22 gauge to 1/2" no problem. It is dual voltage and cost $800ish (had it for a couple years haven't priced it lately) I use it every day without problems. Great machine!
Attachments
3/16" wall fire pit
3/16" wall fire pit
image.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Fire ring out of 14 gauge
Fire ring out of 14 gauge
image.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt