Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Stick_Welder_Steve
    Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:39 pm

My cousin and I are planning on fabricating an engine mount for his volvo and we need to cut some metal in order to have it all welded out. The plasma needs to be cheap but also reliable enough to last him for the entire project and for the occasional cut once every 2 months or so...any recommendations?

I've never regretted the money I spent on good tools. My fear would be that if I got a plasma cutter that'd only last for one small job and maybe a once every two months cut, that it wouldn't really cut worth a shit right from the start. You get what you pay for, and I realize that most of us ain't really rolling in money but if I was going to spring for a plasma cutter, I'd get a good one and plan on having it around for a long time. Cheap tools are their own punishment.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Stick_Welder_Steve

ldbtx wrote:I've never regretted the money I spent on good tools. My fear would be that if I got a plasma cutter that'd only last for one small job and maybe a once every two months cut, that it wouldn't really cut worth a shit right from the start. You get what you pay for, and I realize that most of us ain't really rolling in money but if I was going to spring for a plasma cutter, I'd get a good one and plan on having it around for a long time. Cheap tools are their own punishment.
So should I perhaps consider getting an oxy-fuel set instead? Well said by the way ;)
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

So should I perhaps consider getting an oxy-fuel set instead? Well said by the way ;)
Absolutely, an OA set is much more versatile on steel than a plasma, More reliable, no electricity or air needed. Can often be found used for under $300. If you want a cheap plasma, get the one from Harbor Freight. Be sure to get the 2 year warranty. There really isn't such a thing as a cheap reliable plasma unless you get a quality used machine for a good deal.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I'll second the comments about OA being useful for more than cutting. My second welding tool was an OA rig picked up from a garage sale for a screaming deal of a price, and the OA torches served me until I had some excess budget and spotted a good deal on a Miller plasma from a military guy getting out and de-cluttering tools that hadn't been used due to (unexpected) family growth.

Brazing, general heating, finding flammable things near (for a very flexible definition of near, depending on the size of the tip!) the items that you're intending to weld...

Such a multipurpose and useful tool! :D

All jest aside, with a steady hand and some practice, I've been surprised at just how clean of cuts I can get with my OA torch, especially once I had a more experienced welder show me that I was dwelling far too long, and to get the lead out and MOVE the torch a good bit faster. Definitely a practiced skill, but Plasma cutting has minimum and maximum speeds as well.

An alternative to buying a torch or plasma rig would be to find someone in the area that already has the tools in question and pay to have it done.
Depending on budget and the size of the job, it might be practical, even if somewhat rubbing against the grain for those of us who will consider just about anything a useful excuse to acquire new and interesting tools!
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Kind of a tough question. How thick of metal you gonna be working with?
If it's 5/8" steel or less (40 amp machine) get one from Harbor Freight and get
the extended warranty. They're not the best machines but, if it gives up the ghost, they just
hand you a new one.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Stick_Welder_Steve wrote:My cousin and I are planning on fabricating an engine mount for his volvo and we need to cut some metal in order to have it all welded out. The plasma needs to be cheap but also reliable enough to last him for the entire project and for the occasional cut once every 2 months or so...any recommendations?
Get in the yellow pages for industrial supply houses who have rentals. You may be able to rent one for a couple of months.
For something like that gimme my Victor. Often where you cut can be heated twisted or bent for a cleaner fit and maintaining more stiffness etc.
Plasma is highly overrated in a non-production-homeowner environment.
" They" push the crap on people and never mention consumables, air, drying the air etc etc.
I had a P.O.S. Tomahawk. I let someone have the neato toy at a good price. I have real work to do.

OTOH a plasma rig for doing Islamic lawn ornaments could be quite profitable in the near future. ;) :shock: :roll:

How does one say: "Whasha doin' Kevin" in Islamic ? :mrgreen:
Stick_Welder_Steve

rake wrote:Kind of a tough question. How thick of metal you gonna be working with?
the extended warranty. They're not the best machines but, if it gives up the ghost, they just
hand you a new one.
The material will be from 1/4 to 3/8, so if I do get a plasma then it will probably be the harbor freight one or the Everlast
SuperCut 50P since it is just a bit cheaper...still haven't decided yet though might just get an OA torch instead :?
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Every shop that wants to do metal work, mechanic work, etc. needs an oxyfuel torch before it needs a plasma cutter. I work for Hypertherm and am telling you this! After you use the torch for a while and understand its versatility for heating, bending, freeing rusty, stuck parts, brazing and cutting (steel)....then and only then should you think about getting a plasma.

While you are learning about the benefits of oxy-fuel, save your money and patiently watch craigslist for used Hypertherm plasma cutters. Watch for...Powermax30 (120/240 volt), Powermax45, Powermax600, Powermax1000, all good hobbyist/industrial machines that occasionally can be bought for the same price as the imports....and trust me, there is no comparison when it comes to reliability, cut quality, consumable life, parts availability, factory (free) tech support.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Stick_Welder_Steve wrote:
rake wrote:Kind of a tough question. How thick of metal you gonna be working with?
hand you a new one.
The material will be from 1/4 to 3/8, so if I do get a plasma then it will probably be the harbor freight one or the Everlast
SuperCut 50P since it is just a bit cheaper...still haven't decided yet though might just get an OA torch instead :?
UglyBlobs
    Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 am

For maximum utility, an OA rig can’t be beat. Time and experience will tell you if/when you really need a plasma. In the meantime, if you are patient and willing to take some risks, keep an eye out for plasma cutters on places like Craigslist. You may stumble across some really good deals.

Earlier this year, I ran across and ad for a Northern Industrial 375 Plasma cutter (Northern Tool house brand- now rebranded “Clutch 375”) for $300. Owner said it had an air leak inside – he had fixed it before- but he was just tired of messing with it. Said if I wanted it he would take $200. Done! A 25 cent piece of hose had it up and cutting like a champ.

Later, I found a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 (no torch) for $200. The PO said he and his brother-in-law each had one and his BIL ran over the gun and borrowed the torch from the PO. His BIL moved out of state (and took the torch). The PO had bought a multi-process machine and didn't need the Cutmaster anymore. In the end, it may not work at all because I still don’t have a torch to test it out with, but for $200, it was just one of those gambles worth taking.

Now, if I can find an SL40 torch pretty cheap (<$100), I can get this thing running.

Now, Mr. Jim Colt is a great ambassador and makes a really good case for the Hypertherm brand, so I am keeping an eye out for a good deal. I figure the money I get back from selling the Northern Tool 375 and Cutmaster 42 will just about pay for the Hypertherm.

Just takes a little patience.
Lincoln Power Mig 300MP
Lincoln 175 Square Wave Tig
Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 Plasma Cutter
Hypertherm Powermax 45 Plasma Cutter
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Here's a real cost effective idea. Rent one. My lws will rent a Hypertherm 900 (older machine) for 90 bucks a day. Mock up your motor mount with cardboard to make sure you have it right then go rent a plasma cutter. You get the job done and don't end up owning a boat anchor.