Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Malooga
    Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi Everyone:

I have been thinking of a plasma cutter for a while now, but they are expensive. I saw a bunch of posts suggesting getting an Oxy setup...much cheaper and you can also use to heat up metal to bend. I love the idea of using it for bending as without it, I will need to buy benders as well and I just have one of the bays of my garage as a shop.

I would consider Oxy, but I already have a large bottle for my Mig, but at least that's inert gas....I'm concerned about storing a big bottle of oxygen and acetylene in my garage....it may even up my insurance.

Currently I am justifying the price of the plasma as my 50th is just around the corner. Would be great to hear your thoughts on my concerns and some advice moving forward. If I were to buy a plasma, would probably be a Hypertherm or Hobart.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all !!!!

Alex
mrmatt
    Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:03 am

Depends on what your cutting or may want to cut in the future. A plasma cutter will cut any thing a person would weld with a mig I would think a torch basically cuts steel. May want to look forward at possible projects you want do
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey Alex.

I am in Australia and for me, plasma makes the most sense. Gas is very expensive here. I already have an argon bottle and to add oxy and acetylene to this would be prohibitively expensive. I already have air compressors so plasma was the obvious choice. Yes, metal heating and bending and some of the other advantages of oxy would be great but mostly I need to cut metal, so plasma is fine. Consumables are easy to find online and cheap, too.

My plasma is built into my main machine (TIG, stick, plasma) and performs beautifully, although I have heard very good things about Hypotherm standalone PAC's.

Kym
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

A good quality plasma cutter is an expensive tool to purchase, however it is a long term investment that saves you a lot of money over time. If you calculate the cost of ownership over the years...the plasma cutter is way less expensive as compared to oxy-fuel cutting. Saves you time, improves your quality....and also cuts more materials (any metal that conducts electricity). You still need an oxy-fuel torch in your shop....not for cutting but for freeing up things that are stuck, for bending, for straightening, for brazing, silver soldering, etc. I have a set of torches and use them regularly....but have not cut any steel with them for close to 20 years.

Plasma cutters are the lowest cost way to cut most metals for fabricating. Hand held or machine controlled.

The high end Plasma cutters (think Hypertherm, Victor/Esab) cost more (like a 1 ton diesel truck as compared to a 1/2 ton gas truck).....they are industrial tools. Over time they will cut more metal and at a lower cost per foot as compared to their low cost import cousins. If you are a hobbyist and want a plasma cutter for occasional use...then maybe the low cost imports will do the trick, though it is worth considering looking at a second hand high end plasma on the used market. If you value your equipment, plan to use it til you die, or use it to earn a living, then the high end units are the wisest choice.

Jim Colt
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Jody's latest video features an AHP 60 amp plasma machine, dual voltage. I covet a plasma machine too but just can't justify it- altho from the VERY quick reading I did online, current pricing on the AHP machine is "introductory", so that may influence your decision.

I have a cutting torch, and small oxy-acet bottles that I bought on Craigs List. I always enjoy O/A welding and I'm always amazed by how much quieter it is. I'll have to get good at OA cutting, I guess. Let us know if you get a plasma machine!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Greetings, Jim, didn't realize you are a member here! I recognize you from WW, and appreciate your willingness / ability to share in-depth knowledge of plasma.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Artie F. Emm wrote:Greetings, Jim, didn't realize you are a member here! I recognize you from WW, and appreciate your willingness / ability to share in-depth knowledge of plasma.
Jim does not make himself obvious here, as the way our forum rules are written he must be very careful about his posts. He shares great general knowledge, and does get the chance to plug his own brand now and again from his personal experience, but he polices himself very well as to marketing.

I'm glad he's a member. Others who join while representing a company could set him as an example.

Steve S
Malooga
    Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks all for the great feedback! I'm going to buy a good plasma...thinking one of the Hobarts or the Hypertherm. Maybe I'll pick up one of the small oxy setups and store in my shed...use for bending or loosening parts.

Happy New Year to all!

Alex
C7Z
  • C7Z
    Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 pm

I have both Oxy/Acet and Plasma, if I need to cut something I use the Plasma every time. BUT, the plasma can't gas weld or heat things so if I could only have one it would be the Oxy/Acet. If you decide on a Plasma cutter take a close look at Hypertherm, they make some excellent machines.
Dynasty 200DX
MM252
Powermax 45
VTS 450/460 Oxy-Acetylene
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Well either are effective. I have both in my shop, I specialize in hand cut metal art with a plasma cutter but I broke the torch head on my machine in the middle of a big order so I had to resort to the oxy torch. I use the oxy primarily for heating metal and cutting thick metal or for portable cutting where there isn't power. Plasma is great for cutting any type of metal and making precise cuts. Both are great I can't choose one over another because they both are equally valuable.
Attachments
Plasma 1/8" thick
Plasma 1/8" thick
image.jpg (103.98 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
Oxy cut 3/4" thick
Oxy cut 3/4" thick
image.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
Oxy cut 3/4" thick
Oxy cut 3/4" thick
image.jpg (74.9 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Plasma cut on 1/2" steel with a 45 amp plasma. 1/2" bolt will drop through the holes....no grinding or secondary work, cut at 18 inches per minute.

IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2948.jpg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 1261 times
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I like Acet/Oxy cutting.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

At the college I teach at, we have both oxy/fuel and plasma. I am totally a fan of the plas over the oxy/fuel. I use the plas for just about every custom cut I need to do. It is easier to use and it is much, much, much easier to clean up the slag from the plas than from the oxy/fuel. I could honestly say that I love my plas - I feel that strongly about it. Sorry to display my feelings in such a public manner, but that is the way I feel. People from the oxy/fuel community need to learn to accept us folks from the plas community.

I do have a pipe beveler that I use, powered by my trusty oxy/fuel rig. I want to get the hook ups so that I can run my plas off of it, so I can cut down on the amount of slag. The rig up is not a lot of money, somewhere in the vicinity of about $800; but it ain't my money so I don't necessarily mind spending it.
Gary