Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Troy Boy 72 wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I like a plain 'ol circular saw with a 40 tooth carbide blade. A fence helps with straightness.

Steve S
G'day Steve , i like that idea , does it have to be a an ally blade or can it be a wood carbide tipped blade with 40 or more teeth used with some lube . I think i seen something like that on Youtube somewhere ? Cheers
I just use a good quality carbide-tipped blade for cutting plywood/paneling, around 40 tooth is a good cut quality at a good cut speed.

xryan mentions zero-degree rake; The importance of this increases with material thickness. In 1,5mm and under, almost any configuration will do. It is noisy, and you do need good protection from flying chips.

The last blade I dulled doing this lasted at least 80m of cut in thicknesses varying 2,3mm through 12mm.

Steve S
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Heres how I cut aluminum. Draw the cut file, load the material, nest as many parts as I need, push the start button...then go do something else while the parts cut.

Jim Colt
ziplinecuts 008.jpg
ziplinecuts 008.jpg (65.55 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I have done the circular saw route, with a 'sharp' fine tooth plywood blade. I put the blade on backwards, it chips off material rather than cutting, works for me, , , ,

-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

The main difference of an aluminum cutting blade is that it has a ZERO or Negative rake to keep chips from building up in it. I have also used my Makita 6 1/2" cordless circular saw to cut aluminum using a narrow kerf carbide wood blade. It spins much slower than a plug in saw so it doesn't melt the aluminum but just cuts it.

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Aluminium cutting with a saw calls for a negative rake tooth. Wood blades have a positive rake. This is done to keep the blade from grabbing the work piece. A positive rake blade can be used but it is not as safe as a negative rake.
p40whk
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

What about a throttles shear? We used to use those in the Airforce (a while back for me) but they did a good job of cutting straight and contoured cuts. Not as fast as a saw but you'll only get straight cuts with a circular saw.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Skil saw all day long.

Diablo metal cutting blade from home depot.

You can cut as fast as you can push....

Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

What thickness of steel can you cut with that diablo blade?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Coldman wrote:What thickness of steel can you cut with that diablo blade?
Depends how much time you have.
1/2" isn't to bad.
Slow is key if you want to make the blades last.

Torch or plaz would be a better choice if your cutting lots of heavier plate
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024