Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

I have a planned project coming up, a machinist work table. I am going to use 1/2" plate for the top. I want it to be as flat as possible so I'm not going to use my cutting torch. I was thinking of using a metal blade on a circular saw & starting out with the blade at 1/8", make the cut, adjust another 1/8" make another cut and so until the plate is cut. Is it safe to use a metal blade on a circular saw? Also, what is the difference between a circular saw & the one made for metal cutting like the Milwaukee or Evolution? Thanks
Bill
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

As long as you use a good quality saw you shouldnt have any issues.
Metal needs higher torque so gears and motor must be up for it.

I have used an evolution blade in a bosch saw many times without problems.

Just be careful with the chips. They come off really hot and sharp.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

My Milwaukie 8 inch metal saw turns at 3,700 rpm, my older Milwaukee wood cutting saw turns at 5,800 rpm. Home Depot sells a Diablo blade for steel that's speed rated for 5,800 rpm. Lowes has a different brand that is slightly more expensive. I have never used either one. I figured the $299 for the metal cutting saw wasn't outrageous and the blade for a wood saw was $40 to $60. I would have no hesitation cutting 1/2" plate with the metal saw.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

sedanman wrote:My Milwaukie 8 inch metal saw turns at 3,700 rpm, my older Milwaukee wood cutting saw turns at 5,800 rpm. Home Depot sells a Diablo blade for steel that's speed rated for 5,800 rpm. Lowes has a different brand that is slightly more expensive. I have never used either one. I figured the $299 for the metal cutting saw wasn't outrageous and the blade for a wood saw was $40 to $60. I would have no hesitation cutting 1/2" plate with the metal saw.
At those speeds you better be wearing kevlar. Personally I will stick to plasma or torches.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Check youtube for the Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw. You'd be amazed.
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

Hi, thanks for the info. I'm going to order one of those evolution blades & try it out.
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

I use one regularly in a worm drive circular saw. It will cut your 1/2" plate in one pass no problem. Ask me how I know.... :shock:

GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Jesus lol. Didn't feel any resistance as you were cutting whatever was on top

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

GreinTime wrote:Jesus lol. Didn't feel any resistance as you were cutting whatever was on top

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I was dropping in on a piece of 1/4" from above. I thought it was taking a little too long but it cut right through. The key with these blades is to not hog them. If you are making significant sparks, you are pushing the blade too hard.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

AK -

Wow. Just wow.

Kym