Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

My bad - actually I purchased the Dynasty 200 DX from the same place as the Hypertherm - it was first. I did learn how tough Hypertherm units were in the interim. I decided to take an evening "continuing education" welding course at the local Community College - so I could play with some of their machines and try pulse TIG before deciding if I wanted to upgrade my Diversion 165. The instructor was a (fill in the blank). How he got through the 10 weeks without someone being seriously injured I will never know. Had one father and son team welding in tennis shoes, shorts and polyester shorts. No concept of safety. I know the welding program director quite well - suffice it to say they have a new instructor teaching the course.

As to Hypertherm... The school had some older Powermax 60s which were quite abused. After the instructor's introduction of the machines the students were let loose. A plasma cutter does not do very well without the ground wire attached, with the wrong electrode installed, with the nozzle burned through the side. After their first experience I do not think anyone would have had a plasma cutter if you gave it to them.

As I had a Hypertherm and understood how they worked I tore down the guns and installed the correct consumables and made sure the ground wires were properly connected. The machines now cut like they were supposed to. No worse for the abuse.

Ken