Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Hey guys.

I hope some of you have some wise words on my issue.

Last year I invested money in/upgraded to the Esab (Thermal Dynamic) CutMaster 60 and 80. I use the SL60 hand torch. The thing is, I get horrible cuts. I've tried everything, when it comes to settings on amps and air pressure. I've changed consumables and tried drag tip.

It seems like the torch only cuts, when I'm pushing it straight away from myself. If pull or move sideways, it's like it won't cut/penetrate. This boggles my mind.

Any suggestion, except buying hypetherm (too late ;) :( ), is welcome.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Mick,
There's a very small micro switch in the handle that let the machine know the consumables are in place. I've had problems with it not making good contact so I wrapped a piece of fiberglass tape around the base of the piece that holds all the consumables, sorry, don't know it's proper name, and it makes better contact.

I'm no expert on plasma cutters, but there are a few on here who are and maybe they'll add some advice.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Braehill wrote:Mick,
There's a very small micro switch in the handle that let the machine know the consumables are in place. I've had problems with it not making good contact so I wrapped a piece of fiberglass tape around the base of the piece that holds all the consumables, sorry, don't know it's proper name, and it makes better contact.

I'm no expert on plasma cutters, but there are a few on here who are and maybe they'll add some advice.

Len
Did you have the same issue, or did yours do something else?
I will try my luck with the tape. It just bothers me, cause around here, the Cut Master 60 costs about $2800 (USD), so that's a lot of money for a machine, if it doesn't cut nicely out of the box.

What kind of glasfiber tape did you use? I do have some some slightly sticky woven glasfiber tape for reinforcing cracked drywall and stuff like that.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Mick,
I only used that machine with a stand off guide and when you tried to cut sideways it cut intermittently.

The tape is what we use to secure heat tracing to pipe, it's #27 Scotch tape from 3M. We buy it from Grainger I believe. You can get it in different widths and we use the 1/2 stuff.

Len

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len