Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Well one could build up 2nd,3rd storey!!
A garage-scraper. Or dig down.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Used shipping containers are usually pretty cheap and make good storage sheds.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

Sounds like you need a block of land out Lewiston area
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Yes, it's ancient...'McPherson Powered Tools'

A shot of the gear system...4 pulleys

Well, my band saw arrived on a trailer on the weekend.

It's almost as tall as I am, it weighs more than I do and it's ancient. I reckon at least 50 years old. It showed up with an assortment of blades. I tried a high tooth count blade on steel and it was pretty hopeless, not sure if the problem was speed or, more likely, just an old, dull blade.

I then fitted up a lower tooth count blade and cut some aluminium - worked nicely.

The saw is worn, cantankerous and needs some TLC, but I think it will be a very handy tool once refurbished.

Kym
Poland308

Nice addition!

Josh
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

If you ran the step pulley set up on steel,instant dull blade.
Appears to have Jack shaft set up for reduced speed, will need two belts to get it down to metal/ally working speeds.
small drive to large and then small to large again to get lowest speed for ferrous metal,may have to check/move the pulleys to get belts aligned
That one long one on the large drive pulley is high speed wood.
Then you will be happy,nice machine.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

rick9345 wrote:If you ran the step pulley set up on steel,instant dull blade.
Appears to have Jack shaft set up for reduced speed, will need two belts to get it down to metal/ally working speeds.
small drive to large and then small to large again to get lowest speed for ferrous metal,may have to check/move the pulleys to get belts aligned
That one long one on the large drive pulley is high speed wood.
Then you will be happy,nice machine.
Rick...yep, I ran it set up just as it is. Noob enthusiasm...

Thanks for the advice regarding speeds. I'll get myself a selection of belts, gear it down slower, put a new band saw tyre on the lower roller, buy a couple new blades...and I should be just about ready to go!

Kym
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Spend some time on setting the squareness and alignment of the blade guides and get a stick of cutting lube.

That's a nice unit.

Really appreciate the tips and advice you guys have offered.

I've finally found a local seller who has urethane band saw tyres in the right size. That's my first priority, after which I will be buying belts to set the correct gearing for cutting aluminium.

Was hoping to jump straight in and start cutting with this machine, but I have decided to take it slow, give it lots of TLC and a thorough refurbishment. This saw has been around way longer than I have, and I'd like to think that if I treat it right it will be able to give another 50 years of service.

Kym
Poland308

That thing is old enough it probably has (REPLACEABLE) bearings. Not just crappy pressed in junk

Josh

Okay, phase one of the refurbishment of my archaic band saw is done. Finally got my hands on some new urethane tyres. Removed the old rubber tyres - which, as the photo shows, were utterly shot - then cleaned the wheels and fitted up the newies.

Runs quieter, and having corrected the uneven, sloping surface the old tyres had, runs truer, too.

The saw has replaceable bearings, but they are fine for now. Next job is to set up some sort of brush system to stop metal swarf getting to the new tyres and wrecking them. After that, some work setting up the gearing, and then to buy/build a cutting fence. Oh, and add some braked castors so that I can actually move the thing around the shed without needing two helpers...

Kym
Harry72

Didnt think metal saws had tyres on them for that very reason?
My horizontal bs doesnt have any... but my upright wood one does:)

Harry72 wrote:Didnt think metal saws had tyres on them for that very reason?
My horizontal bs doesnt have any... but my upright wood one does:)
I honestly don't know for sure, Harry. But can't imagine this one running well on the bare alloy wheels...they're pretty shagged. New to the world of band saws, still have much to learn.

Kym
Poland308

Porta band saws have tires and there used primarily on metal.

Josh
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Poland308 wrote:Porta band saws have tires and there used primarily on metal.
I was about to point out the same thing. I just got done replacing a set of tires on my used new-to-me Milwaukee portaband, mostly just as part of preventative maintenance on unknown condition hardware.

I will say, the old tires were thoroughly embeded with rusty metal chips, which I can't imagine did anything good to the blades or the machine overall, and depending on what you are cutting could be an issue there as well.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.

Seeing as there is no hurry to put this old band saw into use, I am currently on the lookout at garage sales for an old vacuum cleaner that I can set up as a swarf/chip extractor just under the cutting table.

I may be crazy, but I have a scheme to fabricate a kinda square funnel underneath the cutting table, connect the vacuum and hopefully extract most of the metal chips/dust before it gets down to the wheels/tyres. Will augment it with some kind of brush system, too. I'm cutting mostly aluminium, so dust and fragments are quite light.

Also, the saw is enormous as it is, so it's not like adding a vac too it will make it any more cumbersome. Feel free to wade in with feedback regarding this possibly misguided scheme.

Kym
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

@Kym

A good idea, not misguided at all. Some of the larger industrial machines ( Moessner, DoAll ) do have a removable chip container drawer under the lower wheel.
Harry72

Grab yourself a Dust Deputy(cyclone separator)from carbatec to put inline before your vacuum, couldnt imagine trying to get ali chips out of a bag or filter!

https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-contro ... ust-deputy

Harry72 wrote:Grab yourself a Dust Deputy(cyclone separator)from carbatec to put inline before your vacuum, couldnt imagine trying to get ali chips out of a bag or filter!

https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-contro ... ust-deputy
Looks like a good idea, Harry, and locally available, too, but ouch...the price!

Thanks for the suggestion, but in the spirit of the project (spend no money...) I'm going to just use a cheapo Vac with disposable paper bags.

But thanks for the tip - looks like a decent bit of kit.

Kym
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

That's gona be sweet when ya get that done ! Keep the pics coming .
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

MosquitoMoto wrote: Looks like a good idea, Harry, and locally available, too, but ouch...the price!
Not hard to make one yourself.. You have a welding machine, right?? :lol:

A big empty steel can, small drum or old bucket with a good lid on it where you weld a the feed tube from the bandsaw angled into the side like the separator on the picture, then connect the suction to the vacuum cleaner to a tube dead in the center of the lid.

The air (and chips) coming into the bucket/can will want to swirl around until it gets to the center to get extracted. As it does so the air velocity drops and the heavy chips drop out and fall to the bottom.

Vacuum cleaner will still get (very) small particles and simple dust, but won't get loaded down with the big chunks so you also keep your suction capacity high. Empty out the can/drum/bucket of chips once in a while and keep going..

Secondary benefit is that the bigger hot chips don't get into the paper bag as much, so less risk of a vacuum cleaner meltdown :D

Bye, Arno.

Good thoughts Arno, thanks, and yes, another excuse to do some fabricating.

I'll go and stare at my saw, work out some dimensions and take it from there.

Thanks for all the useful input, everyone.

Kym