Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey all.

My ancient band saw has main blade drive wheels that are about 14 inches in diameter and made of aluminium. The outer rim surface on which the blade runs is finished in a thin band of what looks like hard cork, or material similar to old brake shoe linings.

It is worn and aged. On the lower wheel it has worn down on one edge, so the blade naturally wants to slip down towards the low side of the wheel.

I need to strip off what's left of the old stuff and re-line the wheels with something suitable. I was thinking some sort of heavy duty rubber or even leather, but I'm open to suggestions.

Anyone tried this before?

Cheers,

Kym
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Get urethane tires, they'll last forever. Hard to find in black though. I've seen blue and orange. Google urethane band saw tires.
C7Z
  • C7Z
    Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Goggle "band saw tires" and you'll find what you need. The urethane ones are the best, but that's just my opinion. :D
Dynasty 200DX
MM252
Powermax 45
VTS 450/460 Oxy-Acetylene
C7Z
  • C7Z
    Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Oops, sorry sedanman, I didn't see your post. But we did have the same answer, LOL.
Dynasty 200DX
MM252
Powermax 45
VTS 450/460 Oxy-Acetylene
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Great answers! Thanks guys!

I had no idea that 'band saw tyres' even existed. As for colour...don't care, any colour will do as long as they work.

Cheers,

Kym