Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Here is an eye opening picture that shows exactly what plasma can do. This is a 2x4 (wood) that I had metal on I was cutting. The plasma cut about 1/2" deep into the board. Just a reminder anything under the flow of gas is susceptible to being cut. Keep all hands feet and other objects out from under the work area.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (99.08 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Matt,

I had a buddy put himself in the hospital by using his leg as a "stand" while plasma cutting.
Dumbass... :shock:

Steve S

I'm not that stupid but this surprised me! 1/2" deep cuts in would after cutting through 1/8" of steel at 20 amps!
Matt
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Bro if you're not cutting eighth inch at 60A you're not moving nearly fast enough ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

The arc that exits from an air plasma torch nozzle is roughly 25,000 degrees F, the flame from an oxy-fuel torch is usually around 3,200 degrees F. The difference in temp really doesn't matter.....they are both hot enough to quickly burn flesh, wood, pretty much anything they come in contact with!

The thing to remember with the plasma is that it starts instantly, and stops instantly with the trigger switch. If you lay the torch down, the arc is extinguished......lay down an oxy-fuel torch and it is still running....unless you turned the valves and extinguished the flame.

Another safety precaution with plasma.....and oxy-fuel: don't cut with either real close to concrete......the moisture in the concrete has a tendency to turn to steam and expand rapidly....which ejects chunks of concrete! I was cutting on the floor of my shop with a 1/4" plate propped up off the floor with 2 x 4's......definitely too close. Keep the material at least 10" away from concrete....the heat is then dissipated much better!

Jim Colt

jimcolt wrote:
Another safety precaution with plasma.....and oxy-fuel: don't cut with either real close to concrete......the moisture in the concrete has a tendency to turn to steam and expand rapidly....which ejects chunks of concrete! I was cutting on the floor of my shop with a 1/4" plate propped up off the floor with 2 x 4's......definitely too close. Keep the material at least 10" away from concrete....the heat is then dissipated much better!

Jim Colt
That is a very good point! This one place I worked a guy laid a part on a concrete block one time to heat it and had the block explode with him. Could have been worse.
Matt
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Interesting about the concrete I always thought I was safe being 4" off the ground. I routinely cut 1/4" plate off of a 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 on the floor at times, just so I do not have to move the massive sheet. Guess Ill tweak my methods....

I've thought about building a down draft style table but what I don't quite get is the surface of the table "the bars", are they just chocked up as a consumable?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Rick_H wrote:Interesting about the concrete I always thought I was safe being 4" off the ground. I routinely cut 1/4" plate off of a 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 on the floor at times, just so I do not have to move the massive sheet. Guess Ill tweak my methods....

I've thought about building a down draft style table but what I don't quite get is the surface of the table "the bars", are they just chocked up as a consumable?
In my experience yes Rick, you just replace them when you cut the whole way through one lol. We replaced them constantly at the school after kids would use oxy/acetylene torches and have them set waaaayyy too high to cut the relatively thin stuff we were cutting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

MMMMM.
Now I read this.
Guess what I did to the plate I use for a welding table on Saturday?
Its got a nice full width groove 3/4 of the way through.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

ex framie wrote:MMMMM.
Now I read this.
Guess what I did to the plate I use for a welding table on Saturday?
Its got a nice full width groove 3/4 of the way through.
Ooops...

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Good thing you own a welder!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ex framie

Ah yes I do.
However I have a cunning plan which entails buying a real welding table as the current plate is more warped than a Canberra politician and has a groove ;)
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Aquisation through justification! :lol:
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:Aquisation through justification! :lol:
Also known as the "I don't have one, so therefore I need one" school of thought.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
ex framie

I'm that obvious eh?
Works well eh guys. :D
Pete