Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hello to all!
I have a HyperTherm TH PowerMax X 1000. The gun is T60. This unit has given me miles of fun, clean cuts. Now it is malfunctioning. No matter what I do, I keep getting the error message that my air flow is interrupted, incorrect, or what ever that little light means. I have checked the air pressure to the unit. I have cleaned the water separator. I have pulled apart and replaced all of the elements in the gun. Still the message - no matter what settings I use.

Any thoughts on this? I have come to depend on this unit and I really need it back up and running!
Thank you!
Gary
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

I know EXACTLY what do do !
Pick up a telephone and call tech support at Hypertherm.
Cool huh ? 8-)
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Antorcha wrote:I know EXACTLY what do do !
Pick up a telephone and call tech support at Hypertherm.
Cool huh ? 8-)
X2.
Or,,,, Hit up member Jim Colt here or on Welding Web.
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Not sure which LED's you are referring to. Here is a pic of the front panel and description of the LED's. First....install a pressure gauge (hard plumbed) right at the inlet to the Powermax1000. Power up the system, turn the amperage knob fully counterclockwise and set the air pressure LED's so that they are satisfied....per the instructions in operators manual. While the air is flowing.....check the inlet pressure at the rear panel inlet on your new gauge. It must be between 90 and 120 psi while flowing. If lower than 90.....you likely have a restriction in your air line that drops pressure under flow conditions. Could be a plugged filter, could be ice in the line, could be debris (rust, etc.) stuck in a fitting.

This is the most common issue.....if you do this...then if necessary contact tech service (or you can get back to me, though they are much better than I am on these older systems!).

Jim Colt Hypertherm

front panel and LED's.jpg
front panel and LED's.jpg (79.88 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Since Jim mentioned input flow restrictions, I'll mention I had an air hose "de-laminate" internally, creating it's own blockage right inside the air line. This was screwing up a Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter, and I sorted it out as below:

If you suspect an air restriction, use the same air line to drive a high-demand tool like an impact driver. You'll know pretty quick if the line is restricted.

Steve S
Boomer63

Thanks, guys! The problem has to be inside the machine. Airflow to the unit is fine, I did check it as Steve suggested with another air tool; something that really needs a lot of power to run. We are going to take the machine apart later this week. Thanks again!
Gary
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

I suggest contacting Hypertherm tech support with the exact symptoms before you take it apart! Sounds like a very simple issue to me!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Boomer63 wrote:Thanks, guys! The problem has to be inside the machine. Airflow to the unit is fine, I did check it as Steve suggested with another air tool; something that really needs a lot of power to run. We are going to take the machine apart later this week. Thanks again!
Gary
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm all for fixing and investigating yourself, but I will give props to Hypertherms customer service. I called once and they were extremely helpful and quick...I was up and running in 15mins.

The air hose issue is common, I know we have had that at work a few times since they don't really buy high end hose reels across the plant like we have in the shop. Amazing how much good hose is!
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Boomer63

Rick_H wrote:I'm all for fixing and investigating yourself, but I will give props to Hypertherms customer service. I called once and they were extremely helpful and quick...I was up and running in 15mins.

The air hose issue is common, I know we have had that at work a few times since they don't really buy high end hose reels across the plant like we have in the shop. Amazing how much good hose is!
Thanks, Rick! I just had time today to check this board, and I really do appreciate the help! I will probably have time tomorrow to follow your suggestion and call Hypertherm. I want to get this resolved! The Hypertherm has become one of my best friends!
Gary