Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Yzdrew170
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 am

Looking for advise. I am looking to buy a plasma cutter and have narrowed it down to 3 options.
Option 1 is a hypertherm powermax 600. This is a used machine but looks to be in great shape.
Option 2 is a thermal dynamics 100xl. It's a 2003 model. More than I need but nice to have spare capacity.
Option 3 is a new thermal dynamics cutmaster 42.
The cutmaster is $915.00 with free shipping. What would a fair price for the used machines be? Any advise and tip would be much appreciated
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

The Powermax600 with a hand torch in good condition is worth between $600 and $1000. Hypertherm built over 60,000 of that unit and all parts are available and will be for a number of years. While both the 600 and the 42 are 40 amp output...the 600 has a higher load voltage rating......cutting power is based on amperage x load voltage (Watts). The 600 can production cut 1/2" all day, and can edge start and cut 3/4".

What thicknesses do you need to cut? Hand cutting or machine cutting? That will help us help you decide!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Yzdrew170
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 am

Most of what I will be cutting is 1/2 and below. All hand cutting. I don't weld for a living just like to do it in my super time. It would be nice to have ability to cut thicker materials just in case. I am leaning toward the hypertherm. From my understanding they produce the best quality cuts. It looks as though consumables are similar in price.
Thanks.
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

To really understand how much consumable parts cost for a plasma torch.....you have to divide the purchase price by the distance cut. Some plasma cutters have excellent consumable life and will cut 6x to 10x the distance of other models. So if you paid the same price for consumables for two different systems....and on one system you had to change them out 6 times before the others were changed.....that is the cost of consumables. Many do not consider that when shopping for plasma cutters with purchase price as a major factor. The Powermax600 is one of the plasma cutters with great consumable life. Jim Colt
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jim makes an excellent point about consumables lifetime, so I offer the following:

I use the TD Cutmaster 82 at work (we have two), and consumables life is closely related to the quality of the air supply. Our new shop has the advantage of multiple traps/low point drains, reducing moisture significantly over our previous location, and consumables life has improved. I also have the advantage of the ability to use dry nitrogen when cutting stainless and aluminum, which extends consumables even farther, and makes a cleaner cut. (I've found that air is a better choice for carbon steel, even with the residual moisture. Apparently, the benefit of 20.9% O2 outweighs the residual moisture for making clean cuts.)

In summary, whatever machine you choose, allow some budget for pre-treating the air you use. A water trap is a must (a cold trap is the best), and unless you have an oil-less compressor, an oil separator/filter will pay dividends in extended consumables life, as well.

Steve S
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I would lean towards the new machine with warranty myself. Also depends on the asking price of the 600. Not familiar with the other TD one
Scott V
    Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:50 am

soutthpaw wrote:I would lean towards the new machine with warranty myself. Also depends on the asking price of the 600. Not familiar with the other TD one
Here is my advice..

Get the 42 with a SL-60 torch.. Great system.. 4 year warranty, and excellent consumable life..(set up right.)

http://store.cyberweld.com/thdycu42plcu1.html

I had the 42, and used the SL-40, and 60 torch on that machine.. Right now I have a Esab, new Victor/New Hypertherm.. I would take the Esab over the hyper 600 hands down.. It's 17 years old too.. :mrgreen:

The other high freq Thermal I would not touch, although a nice machine in it's day..