Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
niftyweld
    Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:37 pm

:D much appreciated!
Last edited by niftyweld on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for good deals in Welding Supplies
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Question for you: how is it that your post is almost word-for-word identical to this one, from 2009?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/fa ... gs-184788/
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Did you look up the proper settings for your particular torch?

That's always step #1.

I run a Harris torch with propane and do not have trouble with pre-heat.

When you adjust your torch do you put it against metal and look for the "star" pattern?
That is a common method for adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2amO0T3vkQ

In the video you'll see his pre-heat time is a few seconds.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Maybe we should copy the the 2009 reply and paste it here for im. :)
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That is interesting. I have a speculation as to why this post is a cut and paste with "my friend" added, but I won't share it as I won't spoon-feed a possible explanation. I'll wait to see niftyweld's explanation, assuming he offers one.

Steve S
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

I am suspicious of anyone that posts a link that is selling 7018.125's for $3.50 per pound and say's hurry now and stock up before they run out :lol:
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla

I'm getting there, too. There have been enough seemingly valid posts to keep me from being immediately suspicious, but I thought the "sale" on 7018 was a bit shady.

Steve S
niftyweld

Otto Nobedder wrote:That is interesting. I have a speculation as to why this post is a cut and paste with "my friend" added, but I won't share it as I won't spoon-feed a possible explanation. I'll wait to see niftyweld's explanation, assuming he offers one.

Steve S

what is the correct working pressure for oxygen and propan ?
niftyweld

DLewis0289 wrote:I am suspicious of anyone that posts a link that is selling 7018.125's for $3.50 per pound and say's hurry now and stock up before they run out :lol:
Could you recommend a tip for heating but one without a massive flame?
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Today my good friend is your good fortune! I have the exact tip you desire for your metal working endeavors. I am also a Barrister from the town of Pupe Nigeria, and as good fortune would have it the manufacturers of these miracle tips is located right here in Pupe!

The good news is the tips are only .33 cents in US dollars. The bad news is they can only be purchased here using Naira (Nigerian currency). Our oppressive regime has mandated our minimum currency exchange is $1000.00 US dollars.

Not to worry my friend! Send me $1000.00 US dollars and I will hastily purchase the miracle tip and mail to you a cashiers check for $999.67 with the tip.....I don't know if you noticed but, FREE SHIPPING.

You must hurry my friend, with our volatile government the availability of currency exchange may not be available much longer.

In the highest regards.

B.S. Alaut esq.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave
aka "RTFM"

niftyweld wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:That is interesting. I have a speculation as to why this post is a cut and paste with "my friend" added, but I won't share it as I won't spoon-feed a possible explanation. I'll wait to see niftyweld's explanation, assuming he offers one.

Steve S

what is the correct working pressure for oxygen and propan ?
There's an acceptable range. With propane, I'd run about 10-12 PSI and control actual output at the torch. The oxygen rarely needs to be above 35-40 psi unless you're doing heavy demolition. This is true for oxy/acetylene as well, but many folk waste O2 thinking it should be higher.

Steve S.

niftyweld wrote:
DLewis0289 wrote:I am suspicious of anyone that posts a link that is selling 7018.125's for $3.50 per pound and say's hurry now and stock up before they run out :lol:
Could you recommend a tip for heating but one without a massive flame?
I'm not sure what you mean. Simple heating is done with a rosebud, which come in several sizes. If you mean the pre-heat of metal with a cutting tip, your tip choice is determined by the thickness you're cutting. For 1/4", I'd choose a #0 or #00 tip. The #0 will heat a bit faster, and the #00 will give a finer cut line. It's all a trade off.

Steve S
The_Fixer
    Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

I'll attempt some sort of answer here....

When I last worked for a large manufacturing company in Brisbane, we had a CNC oxy/LPG profile cutter.
It ran OK. It was down to costing where LPG was deemed to be cost effective because of its significantly lower cost per bottle.

In practice, LPG took considerably longer preheat times, particularly on heavier sizes and needed slower cutting feed rates. There were many, many times when the cutting stalled and required winding the program back and restarting the cut. To be fair, this was also because of pushing the feed rate to an unreliable "run" level, or just a tad too fast. We occasionally cut up to 6" thick steel. LPG had real problems with that.

Eventually, the company was convinced by a gas sales rep that LPG was actually more expensive to use than acetylene, largely because of the variety of steel thicknesses we used and that LPG gave lower temperature output than acetylene did and subsequently used more gas to produce the cuts, which along with the increased oxygen usage to help compensate this as well.

At the end of the day, the sales rep convinced the company that it would actually be cheaper to run acetylene over LPG, even given the higher unit cost of acetylene. So we switched our machine to run acetylene.

We never went back to LPG.

The workshop stayed on it though, as we piped our gas in from a main tank and it was just too expensive to change it over.
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

DLewis0289 wrote:Today my good friend is your good fortune! I have the exact tip you desire for your metal working endeavors. I am also a Barrister from the town of Pupe Nigeria, and as good fortune would have it the manufacturers of these miracle tips is located right here in Pupe!

The good news is the tips are only .33 cents in US dollars. The bad news is they can only be purchased here using Naira (Nigerian currency). Our oppressive regime has mandated our minimum currency exchange is $1000.00 US dollars.

Not to worry my friend! Send me $1000.00 US dollars and I will hastily purchase the miracle tip and mail to you a cashiers check for $999.67 with the tip.....I don't know if you noticed but, FREE SHIPPING.

You must hurry my friend, with our volatile government the availability of currency exchange may not be available much longer.

In the highest regards.

B.S. Alaut esq.

sounds like a good deal to me :twisted:
this gave me a giggle, well played :lol:

noah