Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

What brand torches do you oldtimers use? I've heard that most new cutting torches are junk compared to the older stuff but I really don't know for sure. I do know that he old boss has torches that are more than 50 years old (inherited them from his dad) and he has them rebuilt on occasion. I'm just asking because $600+ is a lot of cheddar to plunk down on something that is junk.
Thanks in advance.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I bought a very small set from victor. I goes on my little torch kit that stays on my truck. I have a rose bud a cutting head and some welding tips. Got it as a set with bottles and regulators for less than $400. The biggest weld tip I can run off the small bottles is a 2. But I cut 1.625 round shaft out of a fan assembly with no problem. I also cut a bunch of 1in base plates for another project no problem. It was the smallest kit I could get to carry around without going micro.

Edit. I'll post the model # tomorrow if I remember.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

About a year ago a friend had a friend offering a $650 smith set (6 tips, gauges, 25' hose) for $350. I tried to buy it but could never get it worked out. I was willing to take the chance for that price.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm nowhere near being an expert, but I picked up a Harris torch and an older Victor from a welder who was packing up and chasing the work in the fracking fields a few years back.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

This is the set-up we use Victor Journeyman 450 http://store.cyberweld.com/vijo450wecuo.html, heavier duty and works very well. I personally have not had issues with the Victor stuff.

Cyberweld has some pretty good pricing on their stuff http://store.cyberweld.com/viwecuou.html
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Thank you.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
The_Fixer
    Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

In Oz most old regulators and torches pre mid 90s are pretty much junk now.
Reason being cylinder pressures were increased from 2400 psi to about 3000 (something like that) and most of the old gear was pulled off the market as potentially unsafe.
It was done over an extended period of time, so customers had some time to prepare.

With gas gear, I am not really a fan old very old stuff. Safety with this is a lottery if it isn't well maintained or refurbished. Modern stuff has to conform to minimum standards.
niftyweld
    Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:37 pm

i would prefer victor's also
Looking for good deals in Welding Supplies

My buddy has a victor that is super old and still kicking and the old boss had Victors as well so, with the +2 endorsements you guys have given I think you have settled the matter for me.
Thanks guys.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

The_Fixer wrote:In Oz most old regulators and torches pre mid 90s are pretty much junk now.
Reason being cylinder pressures were increased from 2400 psi to about 3000 ....

Wouldn't it only be the regulators that would be obsolete? Anything downstream of the reg would be at welding pressure, not bottle supply pressures.
Despite regulatory changes, and legislators' opinions of their regulatory authority, oxy-fuel ratios are dictated by physics and chemistry, as is the maximum fuel gas pressure when using Acetylene. :D
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
682bear
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

I have a Harris torch outfit complete with regulators and backflash arrestors that I would sell if you are interested. I'm just west of Atlanta, so maybe we could meet up if you want them.

-Bear
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I have (2) Victor J-27 "aircraft" torches and a whole bunch of tips, 2 huge WWII era 'Rego' gauges with brass diaphragms. Regos rebuilt in the early '70's, still perfect. The Victor gauges (both) died years ago.

One torch is old, other is really old, , , the 1st J-27 my brother gave me (early '70's), he allus had trouble with it. The 2 little 'o-rings' on the tips were always getting 'chewed up', bought 2 new sets, welding supply guy knew me & my bro, he told me to 'lick' the o-rings before changing tips, the torch(s) work(s) perfectly & I still have a spare set of o-rings! Bro went to Smiths, , ,

I'm a Chevy man myself, , ,

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
The_Fixer
    Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

hey_allen wrote:
The_Fixer wrote:In Oz most old regulators and torches pre mid 90s are pretty much junk now.
Reason being cylinder pressures were increased from 2400 psi to about 3000 ....

Wouldn't it only be the regulators that would be obsolete? Anything downstream of the reg would be at welding pressure, not bottle supply pressures.
Despite regulatory changes, and legislators' opinions of their regulatory authority, oxy-fuel ratios are dictated by physics and chemistry, as is the maximum fuel gas pressure when using Acetylene. :D
Yes, you are quite correct. I wasn't thinking there....
Oxy equipment often comes as a set, so maybe that's where I tripped up...
Acetylene wasn't changed if I recall correctly, but in our industry they don't tend to last 100 years as they get knocked around too much. Given the risk if the regulator fail to regulate properly, I'd still be going new or reworked by a certified repairer