Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
p40whk
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi guys,

After my last project that I ended up scrapping a bunch of metal due to the inaccuracies of cuts I got from my abraisive chop saw I've decided to spend the money and purchase a quality saw that will give me repeatably accurate cuts both 90 and 45 degrees.

My budget is in the $600 range which limits me to the dry cut saws out there like the Evosaw380 and the Makita LC1230 or buying a cheaper bandsaw and spending the time to dial it in.

There is a Baileigh BS-128M for sale locally that is near new for $500 http://www.baileigh.com/band-saw-bs-128m but I cannot find very much information or reviews on this saw so I'm Leary.

The HF 4X6 bandsaws can be had for $200 plus the cost of a better blade and the time it takes to get them cutting true but I'm not sure I want to hassle with that. All the other 4X6 saws out there look to come off the same assembly line, just more expensive.

I don't need speed, just accuracy. There aren't a lot of option in the $600 range and I have another project coming up soon. Was hoping to get some guidance from someone who has gone through this search. All of the searches I've done on here pertain to chop saws not dry cut saws.

If I went the Dry cut route, I'm also torn between the Evosaw and the Makita.

All opinions are welcome!

Thanks
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

I've got the Morse Metal Devil ($459 on Amazon) It's been a great saw for the last two years. Only complaint is I wish it had a quick release vise.

https://www.amazon.com/Morse-CSM14MB-14 ... B000IHXOKI
p40whk

AKmud wrote:I've got the Morse Metal Devil ($459 on Amazon) It's been a great saw for the last two years. Only complaint is I wish it had a quick release vise.

https://www.amazon.com/Morse-CSM14MB-14 ... B000IHXOKI
I saw a good review on that saw, it's also on my list of tools to consider.

If you haven't looked through this forum yet, HERE is a previous thread discussing this which may help
Richard
Website
p40whk

LtBadd wrote:If you haven't looked through this forum yet, HERE is a previous thread discussing this which may help
Richard, thanks for that, My searches didn't come up with that thread.

p40whk wrote:
LtBadd wrote:If you haven't looked through this forum yet, HERE is a previous thread discussing this which may help
Richard, thanks for that, My searches didn't come up with that thread.
HTH
Be sure and post back if/when you make a decision, I'd like to know what you buy and how it works for your fabrication projects.
Richard
Website
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I too was fed up with my abrasive chop saw. That thing is junk, I hate it with a passion. The only two angles it would not cut was 90 and 45 so I have been using my 5" angle grinder by hand for a very long time now. Recently I decided that I should have something better, I will always use the grinder on site for pipework so I didn't want to spend big either and thought something like the Evo was the way to go. Our choice in Oz for this type of saw is limited and can get crazy priced. I also read somewhere that the Evo blade works great but can wear faster than other more expensive options. Couldn't really get many reviews on other local stuff so I ended up getting a low cost Chinese manufactured band saw. Comes with variable speed direct drive motor 1hp and swivel head. Cuts any thickness you like and I've cut 4" sched 40 pipe no problems. It was described to me as not being a production model, but more suited to the handyman or tradie needing a portable unit. It weighs 44LB (20kg). I am not sure if I made a mistake buying this Chinese model but the protractor for angle setting is bang on, repeatable with no adjustments. It is not as fast cutting as the Evo or equiv but the feeling of being able to cut 90 and 45 accurately and easily is a joy and a relief. The build quality look very good, milled vice base and good finish but I guess you never know but it is supported locally with parts and range of blades.
B1.jpg
B1.jpg (51.62 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
B2.jpg
B2.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey Coldie -

Got any links or contacts regarding that band saw of yours? I have my aluminium cutting pretty much covered now but would love to be able to accurately cut steel tube for exhaust fabrication.

Kym
Coldman

Coldman

It your saw is going to be shop based they have a two more robust models one chinese one taiwanese that also go vertical and removable table supplied. Worth checking out for similar money.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Coldman wrote:It your saw is going to be shop based they have a two more robust models one chinese one taiwanese that also go vertical and removable table supplied. Worth checking out for similar money.

Really appreciate the link.

Yeah, shed based, no real need for the saw to be mobile. Just need good, accurate cuts on steel tube.

I am becoming a saw collector. And surprisingly, I'm okay with that.

Kym
p40whk

Coldman wrote:so I ended up getting a low cost Chinese manufactured band saw. Comes with variable speed direct drive motor 1hp and swivel head. Cuts any thickness you like and I've cut 4" sched 40 pipe no problems. It was described to me as not being a production model, but more suited to the handyman or tradie needing a portable unit. It weighs 44LB (20kg). I am not sure if I made a mistake buying this Chinese model but the protractor for angle setting is bang on, repeatable with no adjustments. It is not as fast cutting as the Evo or equiv but the feeling of being able to cut 90 and 45 accurately and easily is a joy and a relief. The build quality look very good, milled vice base and good finish but I guess you never know but it is supported locally with parts and range of blades.
B1.jpg
They sell those saws here under different names but I had heard that the blade length was an odd size that was hard to get? How do you like it so far?

One question for those of you that have the cold saws; how to they work cutting really small stuff like 1/2" X 1/2" X 1/8" Steel? I'd be concerned that the teeth would snag on the metal being as small as it is.
Coldman

Really happy with it so far. Been using it alot in the last week, finding more uses for it. I was cutting thin wall copper tube with it yesterday, no problems, hardly any burrs.
My particular model has variable speed direct drive so you can vary the speed and adjust as you go if necessary. There is a range of blades offered for this saw ranging from 8 to 14tpi so you can select for different thicknesses and materials. Being gentle is probably key to cutting thin small pieces,
I don't know if the blade size is rare, but the branded supplier keeps plenty in stock for like $10 each. Haven't broken any blades or teeth yet and so far I've cut 40x40x3 rhs, 2"x1/4" stainless steel flat, 50x50x5 steel angle, 100x50 steel channel, copper tubing, sched 40 pipe from 1/2" to 4". All good so far. Perfect square cuts in both directions and perfect 45" mitre cuts.
p40whk

LtBadd wrote:Be sure and post back if/when you make a decision, I'd like to know what you buy and how it works for your fabrication projects.
I kind of got lucky and found a brand new Evosaw380 still in the box on Craigslist for $300 and a new Jet 5X6 horizontal bandsaw for $290 also on Craigslist.

I sent both of them an email and had planned to buy whichever worked out. The bandsaw was the better deal but the guy was 1-1/2 hours away from me and I could never pin him down on a location to actually see it. The Evosaw380 owner was local and on my way home from work so convenience trumped the best deal.

I pulled it out of the box and took a look at it and so far am impressed with the build quality. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but have a project for it this weekend. Will report back on how well it works for me.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Coleman,
I have this one
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B003

I have found it very good, much more accurate than the abrasive chop saw.
I have found the starret blades so much better than the hardened dick cheese OEM one that came with it.
I do find however that the starrets throw teeth, apparently there are some bimetal ones available that last a lot longer.
Hardest bit of cutting it has done was a piece of railway track, didn't throw any teeth in that one and it did it under 15 minutes.
Bloody handy tool.
Cheers.

Edit, I have found that just about any tool made in Taiwan is head and shoulders better than one made in China.
This may be of interest to some as badge engineering is rife and these things are sold world wide, I've found its worth the extra cash to get Taiwanese.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Coldman

Agreed. I was impressed with this model and tempted to buy it. I was swayed by the portability of the unit I bought but which has much better build quality than the chinese version of your model. It has performed flawlessly but I am still not convinced I made the right choice.
flynntr
    Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:49 am

Thanks for sharing
steves_fab
    Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:32 pm

p40whk wrote:Hi guys,

After my last project that I ended up scrapping a bunch of metal due to the inaccuracies of cuts I got from my abraisive chop saw I've decided to spend the money and purchase a quality saw that will give me repeatably accurate cuts both 90 and 45 degrees.

My budget is in the $600 range which limits me to the dry cut saws out there like the Evosaw380 and the Makita LC1230 or buying a cheaper bandsaw and spending the time to dial it in.

There is a Baileigh BS-128M for sale locally that is near new for $500 http://www.baileigh.com/band-saw-bs-128m but I cannot find very much information or reviews on this saw so I'm Leary.

The HF 4X6 bandsaws can be had for $200 plus the cost of a better blade and the time it takes to get them cutting true but I'm not sure I want to hassle with that. All the other 4X6 saws out there look to come off the same assembly line, just more expensive.

I don't need speed, just accuracy. There aren't a lot of option in the $600 range and I have another project coming up soon. Was hoping to get some guidance from someone who has gone through this search. All of the searches I've done on here pertain to chop saws not dry cut saws.

If I went the Dry cut route, I'm also torn between the Evosaw and the Makita.

All opinions are welcome!

Thanks

I too share a deep-seated hatred for abrasive saws whether its the impossibility of cutting accurate miters, starting a fire or somehow getting something in your eye even with five layers of eye protection on I finally found the last dry saw I'll ever buy. I purchased the Evolution Rage 3 DB with the 10" blade. It comes stock with a multi blade but I purchased the metal blade and I am still impressed with every cut I make. I bought it in June and use it several times a week in general fab work and I am still using the same blade.
I cut 2" SCH40 accurately at 45 everytime, I cut 4x2x1/4 rectangle in compound angles for specialty projects, something I used to do with a portable bandsaw or cutting wheel. It's a cold cut everytime as well. I got mine from the nearby steel yard for $425 but I've seen it on Amazon for $385
http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/us/build/rage3db.php