Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
w1949w
    Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:54 am

I need conduct welder qualification test for welders and have several questions not clear hope someone can help ( thanks in advance).

-Welding code AS1554.1
-welding process: MMAW
-I want to qualify welders to weld 1G, 2G, 3G and 4G position ( will qualify welder in 3G and 4G position with plate butt weld)
-I have only few pre-qualified WPS. one of the WPS is for SINGLE BEVEL BUTT (note: one plate has 50 degree bevel and another plate has no bevel), full penetration, mmaw, qualify plate up to 24mm thickness.

My question is:

Can I use this WPS to qualify welders? If so, after welders pass the qualification test, whether they can weld butt welds in any type of joint, such as single-sided full penetration butt weld, double V, single-sided partial penetration)

For welder test, can single bevel butt weld ( full penetration) qualify single-sided full penetration butt weld?

Once welder qualify to 3G and 4G position on plate, whether this automatically qualify fillet welding in 1F, 2F, 3F and 4F position
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

We only have a few Australians here, wait a little while to see who shows up, if you can't find the right answer, I'll share it for you. Good luck with it all
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I had a quick look at the standard. In my limited experience, it seems as though as long as you use a proceedure that closly resembles the procedure used on the job, You can qualify your welders. Its says macro test, not sure what other tests would be sufficient. Are you a welding supervisor? It's says you need one to be deemed qualified. Where are you located? I can put the word out for people to help.

Regards, Mick
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hey Mick, If the OP were a welding supervisor he wouldn’t be asking these questions.

To the OP, if you are not a welding supervisor you won’t be qualifying any welders, only watching welders run beads.

Generally when qualifying against a wps the welder qualifies for twice the thickness of the coupon. If he qualifies for a full penetration butt weld from one side that’s what he’s got. If welding from both sides that’s another wps, fillet is another wps.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
w1949w

Thanks for your reply. I obtained IWE engineer at earlier days but not much involved in welding at current job.
All under as1554.1, if a welder weld according to a wps (50 degree single bevel butt full penetration, plate) and success in 3G and 4G position, can he qualify in all other form of butt weld, E.g single V full penetration butt weld, plate butt joint partial penetration without prep. Can he qualify weld plate butt joint from both side?
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

1st question yes. Just remember partial penetration square butt is not really a procedure weld, anyone can do that- it’s not going to get tested.

Second question no. Welding from both sides is a different procedure. You have to remember that the 1554 prequalified procedures are quite specific and you must stay within stated parameters to avoid having to qualify your own procedure. You will find a suitable prequal procedure in 1554 for both sided butt weld. Just means the welder will do another coupon.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
w1949w

Thanks for the reply. If the welder pass plate 3G, and 4G, then he will automatically qualify fillet weld in 1F, 2F, 3F, and 4F position. Is that correct?

(I read somewhere that if the fillet joint is the main joint, then plate cannot cover fillet, welder has to do fillet weld test)