Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
snowman6058
    Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 am

Hi Everyone,
First I would like to thank
Jody for the weld test stand website. My company let me buy 2 of them. I need some more big help trying to build a welding training center. The D15 railroad 3/8" plate by 1 1/2" wide 6" long test I need to find a Very Updated machine that is made for that. All safety aspects and all. We have a contraption made from the EARLY 1900's that is what we are suppose to use. Mind you that I work for the railroad and NOBODY has approved any other type of bender than an old rusty homemade piece of!!! SSSSTTTTUUUUFFFF!!! :) Show me some pics and what kind of presses that I can get them KNUCKLEHEADS to approve :lol: I got some shirts from Jody and he sent me a sticker to put on my helmet and boy did that start some pushing and shoving :D :idea: They are going to check this site out now :o I need help and I know that is what we are here for. If I can help in any way... I will....You will see if I know something I will just give my oppinion if I can help...Thank you all 8-)
snowman ;)
snowman6058
    Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 am

Now if I wasn't very clear.... I don't just need the bender... I need the top and bottom pieces and all that is made from a manufacture to due JUST THAT. They will not let me make one even though I fabricate everything else....Nowadays it is called Liability if we make something and it hurts someone. I also have my students make a fillet weld on oneside and have to break it and show them whether their penetration is even or not. Help me talk these prehistoric company to get a real safe machine...simple...not too expensive but is made for that. I asked hobart and lincoln school and they never answered me on what they use.
thanks everyone.

snowman
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Snowman,
I am trying to set up a training shop as well and I am in the same boat as you!
I can show you pictures (if I knew how to post em!) of the one at Lincoln Electric and the ones I have seen in other training centers.

Usually a 30 Ton shop press will do the job. You may have to modify the set-up slightly to include safety cage doors on the front, but other than that it is ready to go. Most of them require a compressed air connection to compress the hydraulic fluid. The consumption is very small on this application.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
TheExpert

Hey, this was very informative to me.