It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 pm Advanced search

Pipe welding certification

Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks

Re: Pipe welding certification

Postby Coldman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:27 pm

After all the searching I've done I decided to ask a pipeliner buddy of mine if he knew of such a rod. He said "sure they're called 27P rods. Cantankerous rods to get used to due to the thin flux coating but work good once you get used to them. Particularly at starts, if you lift the rod slightly striking an arc the weld looks like moonbase 1. Gotta keep a very tight arc. Run on plates help alot for structural work."

So here it is: http://www.esab.ae/ae/en/products/index ... ode=410633

E8018 vertical downhill rods.

Very tempting for a video ain't it. You know its gonna eat away at you until you do. ;)
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman
Weldmonger

Postby Midwest_813 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Aaron and my message is for help concerning a pipe cert i'm in the middle of trying to take. It is either going to be done on 3" or 6" steel pipe done in the 5g position. I'm in school currently and have about a week left. I have already took two ther certs one mig 3g plate and tig 2f plate and passed both. My question is this. My instructors cant seem to find the correct code for this process to show me the exact measurements min. and max. of the length overall once the pipe is welded. I had everything beveled and ready at 30 % and they tell me that its not 8" overall that it might be 9" or even 12". So I have no time left and I'm freaking out because of time and the fact I paid extra for this cert. Please help. my email is midwest_813@yahoo.com or you can even call me 419-632-3046. Thanks a bunch . Need help asap.
Midwest_813

Postby FTSNShrek » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:14 pm

I have seen 7014 used downhand on pipe and plate.
FTSNShrek

Postby ryanjames170 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:39 pm

anyone here ever welded 7018 down hill? i have.. not fond of it
RM Fab & Products

Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
AHP 160ST
Hobart "Auto Arc" 130
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
HFT 80 amp DC inveter stick
Hobard Oxy Torch using propane.
Metal Man FC125
ryanjames170
Guide

Postby AlphaWelder » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 am

If you can ask to see their welding procedure it should detail which rod they use and uphill vs downhill. If you are doing a welder qualification for a contractor they should have a qualified WPS you are certifying against.
AlphaWelder

Postby Otto Nobedder » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Midwest_813 wrote:Hello everyone,
My name is Aaron and my message is for help concerning a pipe cert i'm in the middle of trying to take. It is either going to be done on 3" or 6" steel pipe done in the 5g position. I'm in school currently and have about a week left. I have already took two ther certs one mig 3g plate and tig 2f plate and passed both. My question is this. My instructors cant seem to find the correct code for this process to show me the exact measurements min. and max. of the length overall once the pipe is welded. I had everything beveled and ready at 30 % and they tell me that its not 8" overall that it might be 9" or even 12". So I have no time left and I'm freaking out because of time and the fact I paid extra for this cert. Please help. my email is midwest_813@yahoo.com or you can even call me 419-632-3046. Thanks a bunch . Need help asap.

I don't think "code" is the word you're looking for. They (better) know what code. It will be AWS D1.1 structural, ASME IX boiler and pressure pipe, API oil and pipeline, etc. You're going to have to narrow the field if you want anything resembling a pre-approved procedure and accompanying specifications.

What sanctioning body are you seeking the certification for? AWS?

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby americaniron » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:44 pm

7018 is all position not all progression, made for uphill unless WPS says different
americaniron

Previous

Return to Welding Certification - Stick/Arc Welding, Tig Welding, Mig Welding Certification tests - Welding Tests of all kinds